John Adams: No time for Butch Jones to cop out on discipline

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, 2014 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones addresses the media during a press conference at the Stokley Family Media Center on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 to discuss the team's new players. Tennessee added 35 players to their roster including Juco and walk-ons. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

A.J. Johnson has done Tennessee coach Butch Jones a couple of favors.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

fannotsheep writes:

Totally agree.

Volswin1 writes:

Typical adams insincere, cynical (UT hater) baiting. Go away fool. the day anyone at UT listens to your "advice" is the day they become a liability to the program. I wasted my time even reading your story. Most times, when I see it was written by adams, I skip it. When is KNS going to figure out adams is bad for business ?

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Right out of the Adams school of junk garbage. He disqualifies himself for serious consideration when he mixes every pun, old news, trite comment and attempt at humor into this stew. Then, it becomes neither nor. Neither instructive nor to be seriously considered.

Butch Jones does not need Adams to advise him on team discipline. There are several serious aspects to the reports of this incident; they should be taken seriously...as I think most people believe Jones will. Adams removes himself as judge advocate for any involved.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

John, since you're the smartest sports writer in America we'll let you be the judge, jury, and executioner on this matter. And if that's the case I only have two words for Butch, " you're doomed"

wigmeister writes:

We have an excellent coach. He will deal with it as HE sees fit to do so. That is why he is the head coach. That is why you, as a sportswriter, don't make that kind of $$.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I never get suspended from work as long as I make bail and get to work on time. Did they miss any practice or training?

psychovol2 writes:

2 games is more appropriate. Make it really hurt or invite AJ to go pro after all and cost himself millions just as Bray did.

VHP writes:

I do not pretend to know solution to this problem, but as a father of two boys that were as difficult to raise as I was, I learned a few things. The first was that one should be allowed to make decision as a young adult, but be prepared to accept the consequences of our decision. The second is to not blame others for our poor decisions. The third and most important is to learn from our mistakes and do not repeat. Regarding these young men, I feel that the courts should first determine their punishment for their misdemeanors, which will probably include community service and fines. Then Coach Jones must impose meaningful punishment for each individual. Suggestions in addition to the usual game suspension would be to attend AA Meetings, participate in campus cleanup activities, participate in charity type activities such as serving meals to homeless. I am sure that Coach Jones will use this as a Teaching Moment. These young are at a crossroads and the ultimate decisions as how they react to their poor decision is up to them.

broleb44#1437447 writes:

in response to psychovol2:

psycho you are and also stupid. no one should be suspended period. do you find it odd that in this nation of hypocrite leaders, they can send our young people to Iraq and other areas, in the name of "protecting our freedom", to be killed and maimed at 18 years of age, but they can't drink a damn beer. false id, to buy a beer is no big deal, it is not like they were driving anywhere. also if you are concerned about dui deaths, check out how many lazy. useless, fat people in this country die every years, from disease's related to stuffing their faces, and playing video games, and watching tv constantly. now I am sure you and john adams do not mind the fact that these young men put their health, and body in harms way constantly, to raise millions for ut, john can have a job being a jerk, and you can ride their back for your entertainment.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

GerryOP writes:

Good column! John gets paid to write his opinions and we have to pay to get our opinions into print! So, who are the losers?

mostrevd#1340221 writes:

in response to Goodgriefcharliebrown:

You're either from Alabama or Kentucky, where they know an inbred when they see one...because they are one.

jmaples54 writes:

good article. the bozos who criticize john adams only perpetuate the image of ut fans as naïve and ignorant haters. too bad we can't rise above the image of Alabama and Kentucky fans.

GoVolsinKY writes:

in response to mostrevd#1340221:

Now wait a minute! Say fans, not residents!

fannotsheep writes:

Makes you wonder how many people here can read. All Adams said is a) it was stupid to turn the music back up just after the cops warned them not to make them come back - It was - and b) that Jones needs to show the guys they can't be resisting arrest and putting themselves in position to embarrass their team and school - he does.

No UT bashing. No Jones bashing. Just a sports columnist doing his job. Adams has a rep of being a smart aleck but he wasn't this time. So next time, read the article before you rip it and you won't sound so ignorant.

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

OP..where have you been ..get back on here and help us get the Vols back on track..you been snowed in?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Goodgriefcharliebrown:

Inbred is a mighty strong term. Just call them your cousins, we'll get your drift

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Some comments refer to people like myself as Adams haters, inbred, and ignorant. I can assure them nothing can be farther from the truth. I don't hate Adams and I don't attack him personally, just professionaly. I happen to think that he is a terrible sports writer. He rarely has an interesting fact based article and that is the reason I stopped reading his articles. I found out long ago that his articles contained information that an average intelligent high school freshman could come up with the same conclusion. Call us what you want but we do have the right to express our opinion and that's mine.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Well said. I would paraphrase this another way. Most of us, in general, who follow UT sports have an idea of its problems, happenings and enjoy its successes. We lack the time, being engaged in our life's work, to ferret out the daily nuances that would describe the comings and goings of all things and people connected to our Vols. That is where a reporter/columnist comes in. You see, he not only has the time; he is paid to use that time to find out things we do not already know and present them in a manner that is understandable, unbiased (if he is reporting) or thought provoking (if he is an op-ed writer)

Most criticism of Adams is simply that he does not do a good job; it has nothing to do with the subject matter he is covering. Critics of his critics seem unable to understand that distinction.