Vols' contract with Nashville, UAB spells out details for 2015 season opener

In this photo taken with a wide-angle lens, the Tennessee Titans battle the Oakland Raiders in the second half of an NFL football game at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010.

Photo by AP Photo / Frederick Breedon

In this photo taken with a wide-angle lens, the Tennessee Titans battle the Oakland Raiders in the second half of an NFL football game at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn., Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010.

Tennessee’s 2015 season opener at LP Field in Nashville against UAB will have one thing that’s not possible at Neyland Stadium: Beer at the concession stands.

The contract between Tennessee and the Music City Bowl, which is organizing the game, permits alcohol sales at concession stands as long as they are cut off by the end of the third quarter.

A copy of the contract was released to the News Sentinel on Tuesday.

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart said the Sept. 5, 2015, game is “revenue neutral,” in that the Vols don’t expect to make or lose any money from moving the game from its original location in Knoxville.

UAB is still guaranteed the same $925,000 it would have been paid for playing in Knoxville.

The Music City Bowl is guaranteed $400,000. UT gets the first $2 million in gate receipts, plus 80 percent of gate revenue above $2 million. The Music City Bowl gets the other 20 percent.

The contract says the bowl will handle all ticket sales and work with Tennessee to meet ticket priority requests.

Virtually all of the tickets will be available for Vols fans. LP Field has a listed capacity of 69,798. Of that total, 2,300 tickets will be reserved for staff, player and recruiting comps for both teams. UAB will be given 1,600 to sell, and the Music City Bowl will purchase 1,000.

SEC officials will call the game and Tennessee will retain all television and broadcast rights. The contract says the game is likely to be televised by one of the ESPN networks, although the details are to be determined.

Tennessee also has scheduled non-conference games against Oklahoma and North Texas at Neyland Stadium in 2015. A scheduled game at Connecticut was indefinitely tabled.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2014, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!

© 2014 govolsxtra.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Discuss
  • Print

Related Topics

Comments » 5

Snapshot writes:

Seems like the Vols have played UAB a lot over the last several years, not sure what the attraction is other than a beatable team. And they had to go to overtime last time to do it. 925 thousand seems like a big guarantee, but maybe that is the going rate.

fannotsheep writes:

Tennessee usually plays one top tier program, one middle of the road type and two patsies. Makes sense to play a nearby school at a neutral site where both team's fans --and UT fans who live in middle Tennessee -- can easily come see you play.

I'd like to see the UT-Missouri game be held in Memphis every year. It would be great for the state of Tennessee, fans of both schools, and the travel budget.

fannotsheep writes:

Oh, and you could call it the world's biggest outdoor barbecue and blues festival. Put on a Memphis style blues halftime special and make it a traditional night game. I'll bet the media would love it!

stevefromjasper writes:

NO SEC games in Memphis. We already have too few meaningful games in Neyland Stadium. NO GAMES IN MEMPHIS, PERIOD -- third world Mississippi rathole. I've lived there, so I know.

At least playing the UAB game in Nashville means UT can't unload tickets to that meaningless cupcake game on season ticket holders at $50 apiece -- saves me $200 plus the cost of driving to Knoxville.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to stevefromjasper:

NO SEC games in Memphis. We already have too few meaningful games in Neyland Stadium. NO GAMES IN MEMPHIS, PERIOD -- third world Mississippi rathole. I've lived there, so I know.

At least playing the UAB game in Nashville means UT can't unload tickets to that meaningless cupcake game on season ticket holders at $50 apiece -- saves me $200 plus the cost of driving to Knoxville.

Point taken, but fact is Missouri should not be in the Southeastern Conference. It's not in the South and it's not in the East. Too far to travel. So is A&M but at least it is below the Mason Dixon.

Want to participate in the conversation? Become a subscriber today. Subscribers can read and comment on any story, anytime. Non-subscribers will only be able to view comments on select stories.

Features