Opportunity turned over as Vols fall to No. 3 Florida, 67-58

Vols can't grasp chance to upset Gators at home

Tennessee guard Josh Richardson (1) and Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon (34) hang their heads in the final minute of their 67-58 loss to Florida at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Jeronne Maymon was a microcosm of the Tennessee men’s basketball team on Tuesday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Columbo writes:

I predict another first round flame-out in the N.I.T. this year. Go vols!

utfans#211352 writes:

Maymon doesn't have good hands, plays real hard but doesn't catch the ball well. This team seems to have a delicate psyche they think they are good, but they don't know they are. Doubts creep in and you see the game slipping away. Questionable time out we hit a big 3 crowd is real loud time to get back hard on defense but we call a time out. We never call one when we start getting rattled. This team should not have lost 9 games at this point.

jmaples54 writes:

in response to Columbo:

I predict another first round flame-out in the N.I.T. this year. Go vols!

let's put it this way-- any post season win (sec, ncaa, nit, cit) will surprise me.

unless the vols go to the big dance, i'm ready to cut ties with cuonzo. too bad, nice guy, but if he can't do it with this team, he can't do it.

Volsreign1 writes:

Why do you let your team fight to get back in it. Let them hit a big three which gets them within 2 with all the momentum, them immediately call a time out which destroys that momentum letting the other team take back control. I'll never understand that strategy.

underthehill writes:

Turnovers mostly due to great Fla defense..not unexpected.. missed scoring opportunities on free throws and layups..costly..bottom line..too much talent and team speed on this Fla team..If the Vols had played Vandy with the same effort they played this game..they would have had a win..

bUTch__please writes:

_____________________.

volnsc writes:

There is something wrong with Maymon and I believe after the season is over, a medical explanation will be forth coming. I love this guy's heart but he has trouble controlling the ball with his hands whether it is receiving a pass, throwing a pass, going for layup or whatever. He also has hardly any elevation. He wasn't like this two years ago.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Congrats to the Vols effort against a really good #3 ranked and deserving team.
All you wizards criticize CM for everything but he made great calls they beat a smothering press but to many turnovers and missed layups/dunks by the players was the undoing.
It was a great game in TBA, the time out didn't stop the momentum, the 2 3's back to back after Stokes missing 3 free throws and three unproductive trips down the court under three was it.
However, this team battled to the end.

fannotsheep writes:

Tick, tock …

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Congrats to the Vols effort against a really good #3 ranked and deserving team.
However, this team battled to the end.

I'm not certain right now what all had happened in the minutes before that time-out, but the LAST thing that had happened was that Richardson hit that 3-pointer that pulled the Vols within two and got the arena rocking. Then after the TO, Florida came down and scored on a couple of trips, and the Vols lost a chance to possibly open up a lead.

But you're right, just a play or two here and there made all the difference. The whole team and staff just seem to have a hard time finishing. The players in particular tend to lose focus. That is why, when they ARE focused, such a time-out is so harmful, IMHO. And you are right about the effort, but they could have used JUST a little more on some of those late-game loose balls.

UT4prez writes:

What bugs me more than their losses are the things the players and coach say after they lose. Martin says they way they turned it over is uncharacteristic. What has he been watching? McRae had the same careless and sloppy turnovers he has every game and I swear Maymon has to lead the country in traveling violations. Every time they speak after a loss it is like nails on a chalkboard. Because of their comments after games I don't believe this team and this coach live in reality.

With that off my chest, I am proud of the effort they gave. Outside of the sloppy turnovers they played pretty well overall and showed good fight. Martin displayed good prowess switching to the zone. I'd like to see us use it some in every game. We better finish 6-1 or 7-0 if we want any chance at the tournament. I don't see it though. I see 4-3, maybe 5-2 then 1-1 in the SEC tournament. That won't be good enough to dance yet again.

longandstraight writes:

Voool fans, A dose of reality, this team is not, has not, and will not be a good team. They have won a couple of games that should not have won and you guys get all excited. Get in the real world and realize they are an average team at best. What is the big deal about making the tourney and then getting embarrassed by a good team. I guess the bubble talk is the medias way of selling stories. Of course, many Voool fans believe all the hype. Just let the kids enjoy playing a little round ball.

fannotsheep writes:

At some point you have to go ahead and say you're just not going to win any game that matters. Of course Florida is good. So was Kansas when we beat them, so was Kentucky when we beat them many times and so was Florida when we absolutely owned them.

This team had potential but I don't see them making any noise. If you can't pull an upset in your arena, can't get up for a Texas A&M team at home or beat an outmanned Vandy team on the road, the reality is you're probably one and done if you do make a post season tournament.

So they played decent in spurts. I'm not into moral victories when we lose by 9 at home. Sorry. Not enough heart or a good enough plan -- again.

Snapshot writes:

I hate to say it, but your assessment is spot on. Maymon's play was very disappointing, 8 turnovers and 2 points. He was called for walking 2 or maybe 3 times. He would take a little hop before dribbling the ball, and the refs called him on it. He is a senior and still doing stuff like that, unacceptable.

This was a great chance to make a statement, at home against a top five team, and it didn't happen.

vols1002 writes:

I miss the old days when Bruce was here we use to beat Gators

in response to longandstraight:

Well, I certainly agree that a team is only as good as it plays, regardless of the hype. However, a team that has three starters that are or have have been All-SEC surely, IMHO, OUGHT to be regarded as more than "average".

All the prognosticators thought they would be better. Hardly any other team in the league had as much returning depth and production. When they play well, they can beat anybody. They just don't play their best when it counts the most, which IS a MAJOR flaw, but that is not a quality you can see in a team before they have played a decent number of games.

So it was kinda dumb on your part to say that we were foolish to expect the team to be better. NOW you can say that they are an average team, but you can't in all honesty say that they never were or never could have been more than that or that we fans were wrong to think so. Of course, judging by your tone, honesty was not really the point, was it?

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John ..I think we all sometimes think we know more than it proves to be..I really bought into the idea this team would be better than they are..and that leads to disappointment for me..when I should at least consider the disappointment the players are feeling..look how much effort Maymon has put into being the best he can be..I still hope this team finds a way to make the big show ..for themselves..not for us..

in response to fannotsheep:

I'm not sure I had a problem with the game plan. When the Vols were executing it, they were doing OK. It was just the little plays here and there that Florida made and the Vols didn't that made the difference.

There were at least a half-dozen times in the game where I said to myself, "That's gonna cost them." It was always a quick bad shot, a missed layup, missed FTs, failure to secure a defensive rebound or loose ball, a largely inexplicable turnover, etc., NONE of which had anything to do with the game plan. I'm pretty sure Martin wasn't telling Maymon to travel or fumble the ball out of bounds or Stokes to brick five of six potential FTs--a missed 1&1 at the end of the first half and 1-of-4 made in the last couple of minutes.

I am on record as saying that the success or otherwise of the team is Martin's responsibility, whether or not he is to blame for all of their failures. That said, just about the only really dumb coaching move I saw all night was calling a time-out immediately after Richardson hit a 3-pointer to pull the Vols back to within two after they had been down a bit and things were going their way. If that TO was in the game plan, then I too would have had a problem with the game plan--it is rarely good strategy to step on your own team's momentum.

wilk58 writes:

4 missed layups, missed dunk 13 turnovers between Mcrae and Maymon. I do not believe that was in CM's gameplan.

Agree TO after Richardson 3 is puzzling at the very least. Fl also had three 3s from unexpected players.

oldschoolvol writes:

Stokes' comments are telling. He says he gets double teamed all the time but in the game last night the guards were not able to get open. That once again is coaching. We knew Florida was going to double our strength so we needed to make them pay by passing out of the double team to a breaking guard or a post up shooter. Good teams assess what the other team is going to do to stop your strength and game plan accordingly.