Despite chances, Vols find panic under pressure in loss to Missouri

L.G. Patterson/Associated Press

Photo by L.G. Patterson

L.G. Patterson/Associated Press Missouri’s Jabari Brown, left, dribbles around Tennessee’s Jamell Stokes, right, and Jordan McRae during the first half of Saturday’s game in Columbia, Mo.

COLUMBIA, MO. — Panic was present in the Tennessee men’s basketball team’s last chance.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Columbo writes:

Oh well. I don't think anyone is surprised that we lost another one.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Worst coach I have ever seen for closing a ballgame

Plasticman85 writes:

2-9 in games this season decided by 9 points or less. Stokes touches the ball one time the last 17 minutes of the game after Mizzou's two bigs get 4 fouls each. Can anyone argue we don't have a coaching problem? I think not..

TommyJack writes:

Dave Hart. Hello

murrayvol writes:

Is there not one guy on CCM's staff who's unafraid to say "hey coach, how bout Stokes"??

A team notices these things.

Volsreign1 writes:

And AGAIN a momentum destroying timeout is called immediately after a huge made 3 pointer. Someone please explain this strategy to me.

wendelllawson writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Worst coach I have ever seen for closing a ballgame

Martin's not great, but if you think he's the worst, you must have forgotten Buzz Peterson. Lost 5 or 6 games in the last minute his first year. It never got better, either.

underthehill writes:

I thought there were several blocking calls that should have been charges on Mizzu..especially the one on Maymon..which was a huge play..Maymon clearly had position and did not move..if I had been Martin..I would have made the official explain what he saw that made him call it a charge..and made him give me a Tech..but I ain't Martin..I'm just an observer who keeps wondering when Martin is going to do something to indicate he knows what his job is during a game ..

murrayvol writes:

in response to wendelllawson:

No, we haven't forgotten Buzz but he's gone and not coming back.

We're living in the here and now. What's the point in comparing CCM to a long gone coach who was arguably worse?

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Gentlemen:
We got what we got and we can whine and voice our opinions until the cows come home but unless the folks at the top see what we see and have the gut's to correct the problem then Zo is what we will have as our leader and I think we all will agree it is only going to get worse. Nice guy but he obviously just isn't ready for Prime Time. If something isn't done immediately just think what next year will be like. The word Ugly doesn't describe what it will be like.

Buttcrackhead writes:

BBB.....BBB...BBB.

cdamna1 writes:

Yesterday, in my mind, was the Vols' and Martin's last chance to show they belong, and they failed. I told my friend it's almost too "Dooley-like" in that they over-think, there's no flow, and they can't make in-game adjustments to take advantage of what the other team or the game itself is giving them. I can't really fault the effort of the players, but after a while they get frustrated and stop believing anything's going to work. I've tried to support CCM, but just like with Dooley, I've grown frustrated and just can't watch it anymore. How is UGA, with not a single big-name guy on the roster, 3rd in the SEC while we have two NBA prospects and languish in 5th or 6th? One word: COACHING.

ThirdCreek writes:

But Martin is merely mediocre compared to previous Vols head coaches like Wade Houston (65-90 overall including 5-22 his last season) or Kevin O'Neil (36-47) who were truly awful. Just putting it in perspective.

Martin by contrast has a .587 winning percentage as head coach of the Vols.

I'd rather stick with Martin for one more year than go through yet another rebuilding program.

Bruce Pearl is not coming back. Why would he want to work for an organization that threw him under the bus?

wendelllawson writes:

in response to murrayvol:

No, we haven't forgotten Buzz but he's gone and not coming back.

The comment I replied to said CCM was the worst. I said he wasn't. That's all.

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to ThirdCreek:

Martin by contrast has a .587 winning percentage as head coach of the Vols.

Actually, Bruce threw his own self under a bus by panic. Most informed folks know that his offense was not critical...but he made it critical with his lying and coverup attempt. And then his situation was further complicated by ineffective and incompetent leadership at the top of the administration.

Pearl would love to be re-hired by the school, did you see him last night on ESPN??....light orange and white print tie with a light orange hankerchief. Bruce loves the school and he loves Knoxville...it's a old flame burning.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to ThirdCreek:

Martin by contrast has a .587 winning percentage as head coach of the Vols.

Martin needs to go, but there is no way that UT threw him under the bus. He lied to the NCAA and encouraged others to also.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to GBOEngineer:

I meant to say "there is no way that UT threw Pearl under the bus"

For whatever reason, and coaching is surely a factor, this team just does not know how to play in crunch time. When they were down by three in the last three minutes, they didn't need to go wild trying to shoot 3-pointers. The really good teams know how to stretch a game out, taking 2-point shots when they are present, continuing to work the ball around and drive it to the basket. Of course, Mizzou was dumb enough to foul on 3-pointers a couple of times, IIRC, but in those late-game situations, you are WAY more likely to draw a foul taking it to the basket, giving you the chance to score points with the clock stopped.

Also, it is easier to get offensive rebounds when the defense gets sucked in and guys are scrambling in help defense, and easier to prevent runouts even if you don't score because the ball doesn't bounce out as far. And of course, it is just inexcusable that Jarnell hardly touched the ball for the LAST SEVENTEEN MINUTES in a MUST-WIN game! It is shocking that Jordan didn't even seem to know why Jarnell wasn't getting the ball, and even more shocking that nobody on the bench seemed to have pointed that out to him.

Finally, there were any number of instances where the Vols were simply out-coached in typical game situations. For example--and this has been a problem all year--the opponents nearly ALWAYS seem to get their best players in position to make plays when they are needed while the Vols rarely do. I'll bet the Vols have been outscored on out-of-bounds plays and coming out of timeouts ten-to-one this year. Not spending sufficient practice time on these situations and nailing down effective responses is like a football team ignoring special teams in their preparations--"Why bother practicing setting up punt returns? We need the time to work on our offense. We'll just take the fair catch and drive it down the field."

in response to GBOEngineer:

I meant to say "there is no way that UT threw Pearl under the bus"

The story I heard was that the administration knew before Pearl was to appear before the infractions committee that there were photographs showing the players and their families at Bruce's house. They neglected to apprise Pearl of this fact, so he tried to bluff it out instead of coming clean. It would seem that those who knew about this would have told Pearl so he wouldn't clumsily lie about it. I don't see the benefit to anybody associated with the school to knowingly allow Pearl to incriminate himself, unless maybe the NCAA told the administration that it would come down on UT like a ton of bricks unless they sold Pearl out. It makes one wonder if perhaps there was already a critical mass of opinion against Pearl and they were just looking for a chance to let him hang himself.

Plasticman85 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You hit the nail on the head. Not sure Bruce would even want to return to a school that threw him under the bus like we did, however, Hamilton is gone so maybe there is hope. If Pearl isn't on our bench next year, I think I will save my season ticket money and take a trip somewhere instead. Bring back Pearl and I will be at the arena.