Auburn presents another pressure situation for Lady Vols

Tennessee guard Jordan Reynolds (0) reacts after hitting a free throw against Kentucky during the second half at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Tennessee convened a cleanup regarding its turnovers as early as late November.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Allenfan writes:

Good strategy, why don't we run some more. Oh while we are at it, why not take away their locker room again, or just send them to their room without dinner. That will teach them. Maybe we should play a zone, I am sure they have at least one girl that fill it up from the outside when left open. Lets try everything possible, and maybe fans won't realize where the real problem lies. It seems she is so out of her league, but that is just my opinion.

MichaelL writes:

in response to Allenfan:

Yes she is. My question is: does the athletic director get that yet? Or is the merged athletic department too focused on football to notice? Are they looking out there at potential replacements?

Theo writes:

in response to Allenfan:

And a bad opinion it is. Two great recruiting classes. A team that has made a lot of progress this year. Coached a team picked 5th last year to winning the conference. I've got to believe some of this whining is personal because I certainly don't see anything on the court to complain about. Lost to KY was disappointing but we were trying to win with two freshmen point guards.
For the major sports (mens and womens) aside from Softball Holly and her staff are in my opinion superior to everyone else. This includes Butch Jones although it is really early for him AND Holly.

RLL59 writes:

Hasn't everyone about had it with reacting to only the most recent game? Reward for one game; then punish for a loss. Then send some players out to say "ain't we awful?". And one of them was Andraya who turned it over once. The KY game was lost because of turnovers, but they were caused in the main by the mix of players on the court. One guard and 4 forwards in the later stages of the 1st half resulted in 8 turnovers in 7 minutes. Forwards having to bring the ball up and act as a point guard at the top of the key. The substitution decisions are made by the coach, not the players. Let's hear the coach stand up and take responsibility for putting the players in positions where they are unlikely to excel. Take away her plush office and have her work out of a closet. Give the office back to her when she starts making better game decisions.

Auburn is a 5-7 team in the conference. Reading this article and the fear the Lady Vols have of them, one would think they were a highly talented, top ranked team.

underthehill writes:

in response to Theo:

I see it about the same as you..Holly and her staff are doing a very good job..the Lady Vols played hard against Ky and the game could have gone either way..

in response to RLL59:

When you have basically the same problem all year, which is one great game followed by a bad one, and too many loose turnovers in both good and bad games, it makes sense to reward them when they do well and perhaps give them a hard time when they don't. And just because Andraya only turned it over once herself, that doesn't mean that she didn't have had a hand in somebody else's turnover by giving them the ball in a bad position. So, IMHO, it IS a team problem. I agree that it is a shame that the coaches don't have any meaningful way to punish themselves. I agree further that some of the coaching decisions could be better. But if the players could clean up some of the areas in which THEY are failing, the coaching shortcomings wouldn't be so harmful.

Allenfan writes:

in response to Theo:

Keep playing as you are playing now, and you will have plenty of time to watch very good women's basketball after we are elimated. Where do you see we have gotten so much better, we continue to struggle against average teams, and loose at home to teams with lesser talent. Sometimes the truth hurts. The talent is there so what do you think is the problem?

RLL59 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I disagree with the way Lady Vol team 'reward/punishment' is administered because I think it is demeaning to the young women and to women's basketball's aspirations to be recognized along side the men's game as a major college sport. I agree that discipline is part of a coach's responsibility. But when team wide discipline becomes the sole means of effecting change in adults, one should look for the real causes of the problems...and different solutions.

I mention Andraya because there were at least 4 other players and a coaching staff that were more responsible for the high number of turnovers. But I guess she, along with Cierra, who seems always willing to blame herself and the other players, were two they could count on to stick to the party line.

We respectfully disagree on those two points. We agree on the rest. Fair enough.

in response to RLL59:

Fine by me. I always enjoy reading your stuff whether I agree with it or not. I think most of any perceived difference between us is semantic more than anything else. We might actually make a fair coaching team(;-D)!

RLL59 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I feel the same way...though you may be a bit calmer in your approach than I am.