Jarnell Stokes 'demanding it' leads to UT win over Georgia

Georgia center John Cannon (41) and Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) tangle for a rebound during the first half at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

It was a very good sign for the Tennessee men’s basketball team when Jarnell Stokes spun by his man and used a soft, left-handed shot to drop the ball into the net.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

FWBVol writes:

I hoped to watch this game. It was scheduled to be on ESPNU and, because I had to work tonight, I set my DVR to record the game only to find that at the first media timeout they switched the game to ESPN because the Indiana game was postponed.

Congrats to the Big Orange on a big win over Georgia.

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

UT can't count there were not 13000 at this game. They are counting popcorn if they say there were 13000

wigmeister writes:

Can you imagine what our record could have been if they played like this every game!

Volsreign1 writes:

Maybe they're finally figuring it out. GET STOKES THE BALL!!! Too bad it's taken 26 games and constant media questions about it for them to realize Stokes is the key. At this point, even if we win out in the regular season and a couple of games in the SEC we'll not get a good seed in the NCAA. If we play this way though......

smithm#1382509 writes:

It's one win folks.. We should be thanking Jordan McRae for not shooting 35 times. I witness at least three passes by him last night.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to magicbyswh#221420:

June 5,2007 and not one positive post. Date sounds familiar? Really? You need hits that bad?

in response to magicbyswh#221420:

They count tickets sold, not butts in seats. EVERYBODY counts tickets sold, not butts in seats. It has been that way for years and years. This has been stated repeatedly in game articles. This is not just something UT does to make attendance look better. If you can't find anything else to gripe about, then don't bother coming on here. You might as well gripe about why the sun always insists on rising in the East.

in response to smithm#1382509:

Perhaps you are being a bit facetious, but you really do have a point. I don't know what was "wrong" with Jordan last night--he was even putting up bricks at the foul line--but at least he wasn't just firing them up, HOPING something would go in. For this game at least, he got over a case of what Jimmy Dykes calls "offensive sensitivity", i.e., letting other parts of your game suffer on nights when your shots aren't falling. For one thing, he was a key defensive contributor in holding down UGA's high-scoring guards. Even if he was missing shots he normally makes, he pretty much gave a good effort in other ways and only took a couple of what I would call bad shots for him.

johndavid writes:

Were the charge/ block rules changed sometime between SAT and Tues night? Thats the only logical explanation.

murrayvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Congrats to the Big Orange on a big win over Georgia.

I did the same thing.

rockypop writes:

Isn't it absolutely amazing that the very next game after such a stink was raised across the board about Stokes not getting the ball - he miraculously gets the ball. Maybe the fans and media should weigh in on other facets of the Vols' game as well.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Volsreign1:

There are no "resume builders" left on the schedule. Not certain of getting an NCAA bid even if we do what you say. The UVA game is a distant memory.

fannotsheep writes:

Surprise and admiration to the brave souls who wanted to watch bad enough to record the game. You are made of stronger stuff than me. Glad they won this one but this team has lost so many games they could have and should have won that I don't bother watching any more, even when I don't have to work.

More power to you and to them. I hope they win out, regular season, SEC and NCAA Tournaments included. But I've seen them blow too many leads and transform too many easy W's into hard-to-believe L's. After 47 years of cheering them on they've finally broken me. My butt won't be in the seat or on the couch in front of the TV.

Maybe if John Ward was on the radio … or Bruce was on the bench.

in response to fannotsheep:

Maybe if John Ward was on the radio … or Bruce was on the bench.

We'll let you know how they do. Nobody is happy with how they have played much of the season, including the staff and players, no doubt. But they ARE still alive, and when they play like they did last night, I for one enjoy watching them do it. The only downside for me in last night's game was that if Jarnell keeps playing the way he has, he is more likely to want to go pro after this season. On the broadcast last night, Dino Gaudio said there was still doubt among NBA folks that Jarnell can score against NBA big men. If he keeps showing a decent touch from 15' or so, keeps handling the ball soundly, keeps pounding the boards, and continues to perfect his inside moves using either hand, that fear may recede. This could be a very competitive team if Larry Austin, the incoming PG, can get it done out front, Hubbs comes back fit and hungry, and Stokes stays. I don't think Stokes WILL come back, but, even so, next year's team shouldn't be as helpless as some seem to think.

underthehill writes:

Stokes proved all he needed to prove to the NBA in the Ky game ..he dominated the boards..I'm sure that was not lost on the NBA scouts..if Ky has a first rounder ..who is it..is it one of the guys Stokes gave a spanking..the Ky win was no fault of Stokes..since Stokes is still young ..I am hoping his parents may play a part in influencing him to get his degree..and play another year..

in response to underthehill:

We can always hope! I don't think anybody is quesitoning Jarnell's physical toughness these days, just whether he can score and defend at the position he is likely to play. IMHO, he is almost there in terms of having the right moves for a guy who won't thrive with his backside on the base line in the NBA. On the plus side for him, there really aren't that many classic back-to-the-basket post men around these days. On the minus side, big men are more mobile than they used to be, so Jarnell will have to learn to defend out on the floor.