No widespread panic for Lady Vols, 56-50

Calming process works in huddles; Reynolds (ankle) out

Tennessee's Isabelle Harrison, left, and  Missouri's Jordan Frericks , right, battle for a loose ball during the first half of an NCAA women's college basketball game, Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014, in Columbia, Mo. (AP Photo/L.G. Patterson)

Photo by L.G. Patterson

Tennessee's Isabelle Harrison, left, and Missouri's Jordan Frericks , right, battle for a loose ball during the first half of an NCAA women's college basketball game, Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014, in Columbia, Mo. (AP Photo/L.G. Patterson)

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Tennessee’s team huddles became group therapy sessions Sunday afternoon.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

The chaos continues. This sloppy ball handling has already cost the LV's the SEC.
This team has regressed, no way it beats UNC and others today. Right now they are projected as a #2 seed and may not make it out of the Knoxville Region. Remember Ball State homers? Turnovers, missed layups and missed FT's will have this team home early.

jmtellico#1438721 writes:

You know, you can not panic and still lose. Simmons on an all alone fast break kicks it out of bounds?? Too many lob passes inside that the LV's couldn't catch. Stone hands Russell loses too many. A bunch of really dumb passes again....signature for this team. How about 3 timeouts left inside a minute to play. What??? Nothing to say. It looked like an average team playing a really bad one. They can't shoot, are too slow on inside defense and throw the ball away at any time during the game...especially near the end. They won because the other team just plain missed so many wide open 3's. That saved the LV's because they were so good on 3's & were at home. It will be a short tourney.

MaxVolFan writes:

What is going on with Izzy that she is so quick to pick up early fouls. The coaches has to help her out with this. We can't have her on the bench at all in the tournament. We better be glad those 3s didn't fall today because they had a lot of open looks. I hope we get Ariel back for the SEC tourney we need her outside shots . Carter is too hesitant to take them and so is Burdick. Its like they are afraid to create and will only take a shot that is unguarded. Lack of confidence. On to LSU.

KENVOL writes:

There is no coaching CHW sucks as a coach. No passion or heart on this team.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to MaxVolFan:

This fouling thing with Izzy has been going on all year and the coaching staff can't seem to get a handle on it. I noticed a similar basic, fundamental situation with Glory Johnson when she played. She would go straight up for a shot under the basket instead of just giving it a little fake and then put it up. She probable threw away 6-8 points a game by simply not faking the basketball. As for Carter and Burdick being hesitant to shoot the basketball; I agree with you, it's a lack of confidence. Ariel had trouble with her confidence early in the year, Graves had trouble with her confidence, and you can see that Jones lacks confidence at times. Russell has been very slow coming around. There does not seem to be a real go to player on the team that can get it done in the clutch. If you are going to have a chance to get to the final "4", in my opinion you better have one.

RLL59 writes:

I wish they had told Izzy in one of the games against a weak opponent that she was going to be in the game except when she became fatigued or fouled out. Take the pressure off being worried that she'll commit a foul and be taken out of the game, and see how she does. Too late now; there are no more easy opponents. She needs to play more than the 18 minutes she did yesterday or the Lady Vols have little chance of getting far in either tournament. What a difference in both the offense and defense when she is in the game!

in response to RLL59:

It seems that Izzy gets a lot of really bad calls on her shot-blocking attempts. It is as if most women's basketball refs just don't believe female players can block shots cleanly. Of course it would help if the players didn't practically ALWAYS make big swipes at the ball. That big arm-swing not only causes them to fall toward the shooter and make contact with the body, it LOOKS like a foul when the arm comes down even when contact isn't actually made.

I wish modern players could see how Bill Russell used to block shots. He NEVER made those full-arm swipes; he reached straight up and just flicked his wrist at the ball, usually gaining control of it or tipping it to a teammate and rarely just swatting it out of bounds. Too often, that seems to be the INTENT of modern would-be shot-blockers.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to RLL59:

I think Izzy "could" be that "go to" player that I mentioned in an earlier post but the question is does Izzy think so; and that's the important thing.

underthehill writes:

Reynolds is a player..The Lady Vols missed her big time in this one..

MaxVolFan writes:

No doubt Izzy is our go to post player and Bash is our cleanup specialist. Izzy can create and maneuver better inside . I like the thought of letting her just ride it out and play her . We have the depth to let her play longer. Its a risk we gotta take . The long arm swipes is a volleyball trait I'm sure she got from her sister. Anyway she keeps her blocks playable just needs to use better control. I wonder if practicing with the male practice squad gives her the feeling she is going to get her shot blocked because I'm sure some of those guys play physical and block many of there shots. I'm sure their told not to go all out but still there is some disadvantages. Mercedes just needs to catch turn and shot. Their is no reason she should be dribbling the ball more than two times in the paint. Head high pass to her turn and shot. That simple. Imo there are not many post players that can guard Izzy if she believes in herself that she can dominate. Glory was very good as a Vol and now she's a great Wnba player. Izzy will be too. Go lady Vols

CaptainPicard writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Johnlg00, maybe Holly can teach Mercedes (Bill) Russell how to block shots like Bill Russell. Just kidding of course, using a play on names.

Allenfan writes:

I agree with most all of the comments made above. I will never figure out why she loves her timeouts so much, and why she does not use them for teaching during a game. She was so excited about the game plan, but if you look at the game, open shots were missed all afternoon, by one of the best outside shooting teams in the county, not very good defense at all. There comes a time when you have to play a player with a foul or two in the first half, as most every top team does. With Izzy, one foul and sit, is one of the most ridiculous things that I have seen, let the best player on the team PLAY and stay out of her head. I have watched the Lady Vols since childhood, and this is so sad to see someone that has been with the program so long, and still does not have a clue as to what is going on, or what needs to be adjusted. There are two many great teams that we will never again win on talent alone, so why not face the facts and get a coach and a leader.

in response to CaptainPicard:

You may have meant that as a joke, but that is exactly what I had in mind. I'm not sure Holly is or necessarily should be the best one to teach shot-blocking to a player a foot taller, but the "principle of verticality" should be a fundamental part of teaching post defense. All too often you see players with their knees locked, bent over from the waist, with their arms down. Then they have to crouch, then use arm swings to help with their lift, and then at the top swipe down with the arms. The proper position is to bend the knees, keep the back straight, extend the arms straight up, and then jump straight up WITHOUT bringing the arms down. All this can and should be taught, but in truth, great shot-blockers just have a knack that many players lack. It is all about preparation, good positioning, quick leaping ability--MUCH more important than merely how high a player can jump--and great timing.

in response to MaxVolFan:

You may be right about the big arm swings coming from volleyball in Izzy's case, but she is far from the only one these days who does that. It's almost as if they think a blocked shot doesn't COUNT unless they swat the ball into the fourth row. The idea is to conclude a defensive possession with the BALL, not just to give the other team another opportunity to score.

As for the post offense, keeping the ball high is exactly what a player like Mercedes should do. The others, however, would be better served if they learned how to get low, wide, and balanced, then pump-fake and then, when they see an opening, EXPLODE to the basket. On at least three occasions yesterday, I saw LV posts on their toes with their knees locked, hence off-balance, trying to put up shots with no power behind them.

MaxVolFan writes:

After all the criticism the Vols took so far this season , I like our chances going to the Final four. Looking at Mr. Cremes bracket have a lot of weak low seeds and Maryland and Stanford which to me are very beatable teams if we play like we did against T&AM or Vandy the second time. If we have 16 turnovers like we did against Missouri yesterday no we won't win. Without the TOs this team is very capable. We will see how determined this team is against LSU and USC into the SEC tourney. I believe our coaching staff has to make some major decisions on these issues on fouls and subbing . Its almost too late to change habits.

Theo writes:

Well, I didn't get to see the game but it was helpful having so many of the above posters explain why we lost the game. I concur that we should go ahead and take away all the scholarships and have the coaching staff shot at sunrise. Why wait? Brainless, heartless, clueless.......no wait, am I describing the players or some of the erstwhile "fans" who post here.
Well, never mind, you've got to expect a loss with only one point guard (a freshman) healthy, playing away, with the second leading scorer on the bench. Yep, you are bound to lose if you don't use all of your time outs. Thank goodness that when Holly is fired, probably yet this afternoon, there are so many great basketball minds on this site who are ready to take over.

Theo writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Sunshine you are normally only the first after a loss. Now it appears you like to strike while the iron is hot after any victories of less than ten points.
I believe UNC lost today to a 3-11 team, guess they are regressing faster.

Allenfan writes:

in response to Theo:

Make all the sarcastic remarks you want, but I think you can see as well as anyone that this team is POORLY coached. Upsets are bound to happen once in a while, but fans have to keep their fingers crossed every game, home or away, against even average teams. You can like someone as a person as I do Holly, but that does not make her a great coach. Most coaches adjust, she does not. As for the timeouts, why do you think they give a team five. Every team we play uses their timeouts when we start to pull away to stop the run. I would think as much as you write about basketball, you could see that this team has not reached it's potential, nor is it likely to. I hope that I am wrong, as I would love to see them in Nashville, and I will be the very first to say, you were right.

Theo writes:

in response to Allenfan:

You call it sarcasm, I call it the truth. If anyone had read these comments they would have thought we had lost by 20. We are not going to play a perfect game everytime we step on the floor. Holly is a second year head coach. There is going to be a learning curve for her and I think she is doing quite well. So I don't think it is time to judge whether she is or will be a great coach. Regarding time outs there are legitimate reasons to not use timeouts. Remember your opponents get to do a little planning too. I really did not see the game - I wasn't kidding - so maybe she should have used them to stop a run but I have seen her do that many, many times this year. Some posters on here are like a dog with a bone over timeouts. Regarding potential, I think this team has made big strides this season, in particular the last 6 weeks. I already posted on an earlier strand some of the areas I think they have really improved in so I won't repeat.
Have they reached their potential yet - no they have not but they are progressing and remember this is in essence a pretty young team. One Senior. BG is only a Soph. Izzy and CB played behind Glory and Co. so while they have some experience they are not really returning starters. Our only experienced PG, who does try and do too much sometimes, is on the bench. Have you reached your absolute potential? I am going to guess not. It is about getting better and I strongly feel this team is improving all the time.
So go ahead get all bent out of shape because I pointed out that using timeouts is not the primary factor impacting a win or loss. Why don't you have as much indignation regarding a poster on here who says Holly should be fired or that the kids have no heart?
I am going to continue to call Bovine Output on ridiculous comments. Pointing out weaknesses fine, areas needing improvement fine, but why be negative all the time. Just don't understand why some folks on here can't take a little enjoyment from these kids and the coaching staff and their journey.

broleb44#1437447 writes:

Let me ask all of you negative CHW bashers this, and be honest with yourself, how many of you thought she was just great, last year? If I may remind you, picked to finish 4th or 5th in the SEC, but finished 1st. Now let me be very clear on this, I love and respect PAT SUMMITT, but how many of you jumped on her when she underachieved, with all of the highly recruited players she had on her teams the last four years of he career? How many years did she couch before she won "the big one"? You negative people should look at the history of the game, and stuff your negative garbage, and give this coachin staff, and players your support, not your narrow minded junk.

broleb44#1437447 writes:

in response to Theo:

TELL IT LIKE IT IS BRO, do you think a large number of people that post this negative drivel, have a miserable life?

jmtellico#1438721 writes:

I don't want to just sit on the timeouts Holly leaves but some of you have brain lock. Can't you remember Pat and other good coaches call a timeout in the closing moments when their players rush down the floor with a slight lead, lauch a quick 3 or just plain throw the ball away. You can't remember Pat calling those timeouts and getting in the face of the offender. Like in a recent game where 3 turnovers in the last four positions cost them. If I'm coach, I don't give a rat's behind if it also gives the other team time to plan. Our sloppy play needs attention and quickly. Holly said they want to run....she should also mean with the ball.