John Adams: Too little too late for Lady Vols

John Adams

The LSU lead, like the basketball, was slipping away in the face of Tennessee’s furious full-court pressure Thursday night at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

Hey Holly lets play Lipscomb again. We beat that high school team by 60 and pumped out our chests because we were warriors. When Pat was coaching other teams feared Tennessee but not anymore. I really hate to say this but UCONN is now the Lady Vols of the past. You rode Pats coat tails. I thought when she retired we should have went after Nicki and now you can see why. Your team was outcoached and outplayed AT HOME.

grumpyman writes:

Very little effort until the last five min.

Gotta say, Adams wrote it just about the same way as I saw it last night. There will be time enough for postmortems, but maybe the LVs ought to have one of those "players-only" meetings. It seemed to have helped the men, it is said.

Bandit2 writes:

I don't think a "well-coached" team could play as poorly as the Lady Vols did most of the night. It is also worth noting that our two technical fouls resulted in four points for LSU and we lost by three. Enough said.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I saw ..as did anyone watching the game..LSU simply played harder than the Lady Vols most of the game..I saw the Lady Vols open with a defense that was making LSU play faster than they wanted to until Carter was given a rest...I think this coaching staff is going in the right direction to use their depth and pressure the opponent..but when it is working to their advantage..they get away from it too early.. look at the last few minutes how LSU handled the pressure and look at who was on the floor..I also thought Russell grew up a lot in this game..the 2nd half she was giving the very physical inside LSU players more than they were dishing out..and the play of Harrison the 2nd half was All American stuff...

in response to underthehill:

Perhaps the most worrisome sign to me was the limited effectiveness of Bashaara Graves. She has seemed rather badly hobbled the last couple of games. Mercedes isn't yet capable of bringing what a healthy Graves can give. Some healthy, respectful discussion of this or that personnel and/or strategic/tactical decision is always interesting. Gonna be quite the roller-coaster ride of a season!

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to johnlg00:

be no better than 6th in SEC

ModelMaker writes:

I thought Nikki Caldwell really exploited Tennessee's week points. They took it right at Izzy inside, knowing that she would back off for fear of foul trouble. If you all remember the first few games of the season Izzy could not play more than a couple of minutes before picking up two fouls and had too go sit down for the half. Holly finally told her watch the foul's especially in the big games. I noticed that she had more blocks in those early games. Last night she did not have one block. It seems too me that Izzy can not play good defense without fouling and this does not apply just too Izzy. I can remember Kelly Cain doing the same thing that Izzy is doing a few years ago. I can remember her going out with two fouls and the game only a few minutes old many times. No I think we have a coaching problem here. It's the coaches job to teach these kids how to play defense without fouling and they are not getting it across. I noticed many times during the game the LSU guards took it right to the hoop with little or no resistance. I think the coaches have Holly's number. She better get that straightened out before the Georgia game or you can expect more of the same; they will take it inside, right at Izzy, and score. This also explains the 32 points Oqwumike scored in the Stanford game. I also did not like the intensity level that the Lady Vols played at until there were 4 min. left in the game and then it was much too late. They should have been playing at the "four min. mark" intensity level for the entire game especially with all the depth they have. Some kid's you have too yell at. I think this bunch needs to be yelled at or they would not have waited so long too pick it up. These are thing's that are all correctable and I hope Holly sees this and get's it turned around. I thought John Adam's hit it right on.

in response to DroopyDrawers:

be no better than 6th in SEC

Are you really saying you think the Lady Vols will "be no better than 6th in SEC?" Do you mean at the end, in the actual conference rankings? That's just nuts. They are going to have to get better in some key areas to win the conference as predicted, but that outcome along with every other post-season possibility is still out there to be grasped.