Vanderbilt commitments may reopen recruitment if James Franklin leaves

Vanderbilt coach James Franklin embraces Houston coach Tony Levine after the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game on Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014, in Birmingham, Ala. Vanderbilt won 41-24. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

If James Franklin leaves Vanderbilt, it could cause some of the Commodores’ 2014 commitments to reopen their recruitment.

Quarterback K.J. Carta-Samuels, the brother of outgoing Vanderbilt senior Austyn Carta-Samuels, and running back Mikale Wilbon said they might reconsider their decisions if Franklin leaves West End.

“I’ve wanted to stay out of it and see what they’ll do,” K.J. Carta-Samuels said. “Vanderbilt would still be a place I could see myself ending up. But without Franklin, I’m not sure what that program is like. It would get interesting. I’d probably open up my recruitment. I’d have to figure out the best choice. I just don’t know without Franklin if it’s the same family, the same vibe.”

Said Wilbon: “I’ve been getting a lot of calls about that (from other schools). If he does leave, I don’t know what I’m going to do. It would stun me because when I committed last spring, he was telling me he wanted to make it into a dynasty there, like Nick Saban at Alabama, like Joe Paterno at Penn State. If he just winds up leaving, I don’t know.”

Continue reading at The Tennessean

BrassMonkey writes:

Coaching turnover blows. Look at UT's 5 out 6 losing seasons. Now it is Vandy's turn again. It gets really old being Vandy's little brother in the state of Tennessee.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

As a general rule Tennessee wouldn't want any Vandy Commitments but we are going through some dreadful years in Knoxville. Although I don't exactly care about Franklin I do understand he is a good coach and respect him for that. But, just like 95% of the coaches around the country, he'll go where the most money is.

underthehill writes:

It appears Franklin has the inside track for a job with Penn State..but..I agree with the writer who questioned whether or not he would be better off to stay at Vandy..for UT's sake..I hope he leaves..and it would benefit UT for him to leave..but if Vandy makes him an offer he can't refuse..who knows..Vandy is private and does not have to disclose..so they could match or better any offer if they choose to do so..

OrangePride writes:

Let me start by saying I'm no Franklin fan. He's a good enough coach to have beaten us twice and turn around a dreadful program. But I just don't care much for his personal characteristics. On the other hand, I do like it that Tenn/Vandy games are meaningful. I like it that we really have to get up for the game and see the results as important. I frankly think he is going unless their is a mess up on the contract. He met Sunday, so if it was no, he would have been trumpeting that all over and what a stand up guy he is. He wouldn't let doubt settle in any recruit's mind. Silence says, I'm at PSU if the deal is right....and trust me, they will make it right.

pingkr62 writes:

I can't imagine Franklin turning down Penn St. There is a huge, quality recruiting base, and he can win there. In my opinion, Penn St is one of the better coaching gigs in the country, and is definitely a destination job. But, on the other hand, I wouldn't make to much of the fact he has beaten Tennessee. With the lack of S.E.C. caliber talent Tennessee has had over the past few years, I think any above average coach could have done the same. G.B.O.!!!

underthehill writes:

It appears Vandy may have made Franklin and offer he is having trouble refusing...or he would have already accepted the Penn State offer..I still hope he leaves but fact is ..the Vandy job was not better than Penn State before Franklin..it may be better than Penn State now..

CASEXX writes:

Franklin should bail. Winning at Vanderbilt is not sustainable.

underthehill writes:

in response to CASEXX:

Franklin should bail. Winning at Vanderbilt is not sustainable.

You are entitled to your opinion..but who would have thought Vandy could ever do what they have done since Franklin took the job..not me..and who would have thought Vandy would match or beat offers from Penn State to keep him..not me..and why would Vandy report just recently that Franklin has told them he has not accepted the Penn State offer..I hope he leaves..but I will not be surprised if he stays..he will obviously have a more stable situation at Vandy than Penn State...

murrayvol writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

Know much history?

murrayvol writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Not me. Looking forward to scribbling a W next to that game in August.

murrayvol writes:

in response to underthehill:

Let's be real undie. Vandy can't compete with PSU.

All that remains is working out the details of a contract.