Report: Lane Kiffin to interview for Alabama offensive coordinator position

In this Sept. 28, 2013 photo, Arizona State University head coach Todd Graham, left,  shakes hands with USC head coach Lane Kiffin after ASU defeated USC 62-41 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. USC fired Kiffin early Sunday morning, not long after the team lost 62-41 at Arizona State.  (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, Rob Schumacher) MARICOPA COUNTY OUT. NO SALES

In this Sept. 28, 2013 photo, Arizona State University head coach Todd Graham, left, shakes hands with USC head coach Lane Kiffin after ASU defeated USC 62-41 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. USC fired Kiffin early Sunday morning, not long after the team lost 62-41 at Arizona State. (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, Rob Schumacher) MARICOPA COUNTY OUT. NO SALES

Alabama, in the market for a new offensive coordinator thanks to the departure of Doug Nussmeier to Michigan, is apparently at least seriously considering someone with whom Tennessee fans are familiar: Lane Kiffin.

According to CBS Sports' Jeremy Fowler, Kiffin is expected to interview for the position with the Crimson Tide with Nick Saban as early as today.

Before various bad endings as a head coach with the Oakland Raiders, the Vols and Southern Cal, Kiffin had been widely regarded as one of the brightest offensive minds in college football thanks to his stint as offensive coordinator with the Trojans during their heyday in the early 2000s.

Kiffin also consulted with the Alabama coaching staff shortly before their 45-31 loss to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Read the complete CBS story here.

Slats writes:

Add one more item to the reasons to hate Alabama! Kiffin will fit right in with other misfits in Alobama!

CASEXX writes:

Another reason to hate Bama?

bUTch__please writes:

My my.....land's sake...this could be good.

oldschoolvol writes:

Rumor has it that Layla was seen shopping for double wides in Tuscaloosa...stay tuned!

Snapshot writes:

in response to CASEXX:

Another reason to hate Bama?

Yes. I don't think you can have too many!

I'm sure Layla would love down there in bubba-ville.

wigmeister writes:

He consulted with Bama before their bowl loss! Looks like he did another good job there.

allvol8 writes:

and any of his escapdes@ Bama that got us dinged at Tn will go unnoticed by the NCAA

gc_scvol writes:

Al Davis, as shady as he may be, warned everybody that Kiffy was a liar and couldn't coach. I thought Saban was smarter than that. Oh, well...Alabubba..

gc_scvol writes:

in response to wigmeister:

Good point.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Kiffboy and satan are a perfect couple. Kiffboy will look good with a mullet and a pickup with different colored bumpers to go with Layla's beehive do.
Wonder if they change their sons name from Knox to Krimson Tyde Junior.
Love to see Layla spitting and fighting in the stands while the punk is coaching or poisoning more trees in Auburn!

TommyJack writes:

Memo to area Lexus dealers. Steer clear of this guy.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

If Alabama is looking for a person to destroy their program from within, they're looking in the right direction. I hope they hire him so we can watch the tide recede instead of ebb.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Skip that ebb and recede comment, they mean the same thing. At the age of 72 we're entitled to have a mental lapse every now and then.

brokebackvol writes:

Agree with the crowd on this one, already hate Bama, how can Lame Kitten make it any worse?

SmokeysPup writes:

how does this guy get jobs???? He's horrible.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Memo to area Lexus dealers. Steer clear of this guy.

Good advice.

murrayvol writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

I know that feeling.....and I just turned 67.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Don't quite buy into this "hate "Bama" philosophy. What's to hate? Their university ranks ahead of ours in several categories (sadly). If we hate them because they beat us in a few games, do we love them when we beat them? These games have "ebbed and receded" over the years. It is just a game and we will win again.

That said, an observation: where else but in the sporting world can someone who has never succeeded at anything be sought by one of the most successful companies? Lame has exhibited no people skills, no leadership attributes, no moral compass no....need I go on? Yet, here we (apparently) are. Someone clue me in.

GerryOP writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I know that feeling.....and I just turned 67.

Don't worry murray, the mental lapses only get worse with age.

manoffewwords writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Memo to area Lexus dealers. Steer clear of this guy.

Funny.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

When you are a Vol from birth you just learn to dislike Alabubba. Then later in life, when you have to work with someone from that place with the attitude they have, it just enhances that feeling. You are right, hate is a pretty strong word, but I do think this must be all new to you, or you're stirring the pot. Whatever, you just really learn to HATE the program. Nothing personal I just hate Alabubba. ALL VOL... ALL THE TIME. ..

BJ writes:

as IF we needed another reason to want to beat BAMA satan and kiffin on the same team loved the look on satan's face when the okes beat them

murrayvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Don't worry murray, the mental lapses only get worse with age.

Thanks Gerry. I really needed that.

murrayvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Don't worry murray, the mental lapses only get worse with age.

On an unrelated matter, have you burned out the snowblower yet?

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

I dislike their fans because they win without class. That whole 'we just beat the h*ll out of you cheer' is something like out of Jersey. Nebraska wins with class for example.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Hardly new to this. Bet you my Chattanooga tickets this year that I have a couple of decades on you; both birth date and my UT class ring.

The best way to combat obnoxious fans is to ignore them. You know the saying about trying to win a hissing duel with a skunk. Beat them on the field and they quiet down. We haven't lately so sure, they gloat. Proudly, I have observed other programs citing how courteous and sportsman like UT fans usually are when we are the visitors. I would rather be pinned with that accusation than that we out do Alabama. Has nothing to do with a lack of interest in wiping that smirk off their faces nor lack of being born and transfused with Orange blood.

GerryOP writes:

in response to murrayvol:

On an unrelated matter, have you burned out the snowblower yet?

Yup! Mr. Snowblower blew a belt during the 1st big snowfall. Got it fixed and he's been happy ever since.

How has the weather been down your way? I've heard stories about freezing temperatures and some snow around K'town! I think "The Big Guy" is making us pay for the past few mild winters and the pleasant weather we had this year from April well into late November!