John Adams: In Lane Kiffin, 'Nicky Satan' makes a hellish hire from UT's perspective

John Adams

Photo by Associated Press

Lane Kiffin wisely selected his targets when he was hired as Tennessee’s football coach after the 2008 season.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

olozbal#646632 writes:

Good luck to Lane. I know I'm in the minority but I saw what he did to Crompton which showed he was a decent coach. For his own good (likely not UT's) he should have stayed at UT and actually built something versus inherit it which is pretty much how he's lived so far.

Kind of surprised Saban did this, not because of Lane, but because he's not evolving. He's getting beaten by uptempo, mobile QB type offenses and instead he's sticking to traditional themes which is what Kiffin brings.

Side thought - if Layla hated Knoxville I wonder how thrilled she is to move from Santa Monica to Tuscaloosa?

stevefromjasper writes:

It looks like I was not the only person impressed by Tennessee's near victory over Alabama in 2009 at Tuscaloosa. That game convinced me that Kiffin can coach. Those Alabama _________ may have hit another home run.

JohnnyU writes:

in response to olozbal#646632:

Agreed. He turned Crompton from a train wreck into a 5th round draft pick. Kiffin will have plenty to work with, including whoever Alabama has available to play QB. Great career move for Kiffin. He may end up in the NFL as an OC.

Having said that, I do look forward to Oct. 25. Stay classy, VolNation.

IndianOutlaw writes:

I am a UT alumni, will always focus on my team, for the good or not so good. Could really care less about the coaches or players of the opposition. Oh yes can and will look and evaluate and in certain cases admire the other for their talent or other qualities. And in other cases feel sorry for the burden their misbehavior puts on their family, school or employer. But in the long run it is just a game to us on the side lines. I have been between the lines and that is a different world that most of you do not want to journey too and if you do it has or would change your thinking forever. Enjoy your team whoever they are and quit obsessing about the other. We bring our best, they bring theirs we play, one wins and one loses. Enjoy the moment for what it is, entertainment, a distraction from the real world. Remember that we all carry burdens and pains that no one else sees. Be kind to the others before and after the games. You never know when you may meet them in real life. And remember John gets paid to get reactions from readers that is what drives sales that drives profits. But again it is just entertainment.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Glad to see I am following 4 cool-aid drinkers. Kiffboy has obviously scammed the previous. I hate Bama and hope they fall in the black depths of scandal and despair with satan and kiffboy.
The devil and kiffboy scumbag compulsive liar. Al Davis is laughing in his grave. He wrote a letter to Vol nation that the co-dependents discounted.
If Kiffboy was such an offensive genius how did he take a number 1 quarterback in the nation in Barkley and destroy his Heisman hopes. He didn't turn UT's offense around. What a myth. How about that loss to UCLA when he tried to run up the middle 4 times in a row on the goal line and lost the game, UCLA only had two All-American defense tackles that whipped our line. How about the Bama game where he had Montario running downhill and had the mullets on their heels and he lets the clock waste over a minute and then has Lincoln attempt a field goal for the win with a leg injury when he could have put them away. History on the block.
How about Ole Miss when the Vols were eviscerated with no offense. Kiffin was a scam that Hamilton allowed to destroy the program. Kiffboy did have the last winning season on RockyTop with Coach Fulmers players. Kiffboy is like an STD, he just keeps on giving. Looking at 5-7 at best next year.
The devil Saban is just doing this to spool up the SEC in mind games. Hopefully, he will announce Doofus as his receiver coach next year.
Maybe the previous should learn about the Stockholm Syndrome!

atnvol#283282 writes:

Well spake.

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Well spake.

I left the reference out....Well spake to Indianoutlaw.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Kiffboy trashed Tennessee traditions, brought NCAA violations to Rocky Top, recruited an entire class of recruits that never made a difference on the field, putting a void in dressing out an 85 member team, totaled team loaned Lexus automobiles, continued his habit of lying to everyone, was a terrible administrator, was not an offensive genius, took down pictures of Vol legends in the football offices to put his ugly mug on the wall with a Raider shirt on, Kiffdaddy in a Bucs shirt and Orgeron in a Saints shirt, cowardly never told his team or coaches including his brother in law he quit on the Vols, antagonized donors, fans, letterman and competitors with his hyperbole and strange social persona and was quite active embarrassing the University with his indiscretions.
Wow, revisionist history is amazing with some of the so called Vol fans, I question if they are really fans.
Same mis-guided soles that want the mullets to win the NC after UT has been sent home for the winter with another losing season, chanting SEC SEC!
Pathetic!

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Pathetic!

I am comfortable in my skin. I pray you are in yours. You cannot change the past. While I may agree with several things you said I see no need to be in a rage over it. Also I see no need to speak ill to or about people behind a screen name. If you really feel this way take time out of your life, go seek out those individuals and let them know how you feel "man to man". Just make sure that you have personal identification and your insurance card on you because if you use the same language and make the same statements in person you may get a little push back.

STLVOLS writes:

Objectively speaking, Kiffin is a very good offensive coordinator and recruiter. Not a good head coach, however, For all those who still live their lives vicariously via Vol sports, get a life.

Congrats to all posters for some spirited insights. Ironies abound! One can scarcely imagine what the media chatter will be like the week before the UT-Bama game. Gag me with a spoon!

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

+1 and hope you have dug out of the snow. Their last weekend visiting daughter and family. Wonderful drive home since we left the 4 wheel drive truck home to save on fuel. As my dear wife reminded me several times on the double length trip. Go Vols & Cards.

murrayvol writes:

in response to IndianOutlaw:

Should've given me a call Outlaw. Could've loaned you a 4X4 that gets even less milage than yours.

murrayvol writes:

Kiffin won't be caught "recruiting outside the law" at Bama. They have a system that doesn't put coaches at risk.

TommyJack writes:

Wait and see. Sometimes the best laid plans…..

wilk58 writes:

in response to IndianOutlaw:

A man with good sense. Excellent post!

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Wait and see. Sometimes the best laid plans…..

Will be interesting to see how he responds to a total lack of limelight.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

Where and when has Kiffin's arrival at an organization turned out to be a good thing?

towmater writes:

Get ready for it. In five years, Kiffin will be the head coach at Alabama.