John Adams: Vols won't have James Franklin to kick them around anymore

John Adams
James Franklin waves to reporters and fans gathered at University Park Airport in State College, Pa. on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014.  Penn State has hired Franklin as its next head coach. Franklin, 41, who led Vanderbilt to bowls in all three of his seasons there, replaces Bill O'Brien, who left the Nittany Lions after two years to coach the NFL's Houston Texans. Penn State made the announcement Saturday, after the school's compensation committee met to finalize the contract.  (AP Photo/Centre Daily Times, Christopher Weddle)  MANDATORY CREDIT

Photo by Christopher Weddle

James Franklin waves to reporters and fans gathered at University Park Airport in State College, Pa. on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014. Penn State has hired Franklin as its next head coach. Franklin, 41, who led Vanderbilt to bowls in all three of his seasons there, replaces Bill O'Brien, who left the Nittany Lions after two years to coach the NFL's Houston Texans. Penn State made the announcement Saturday, after the school's compensation committee met to finalize the contract. (AP Photo/Centre Daily Times, Christopher Weddle) MANDATORY CREDIT

A coaching change at Vanderbilt rarely has produced a ripple at Tennessee.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MikeNPS writes:

Every time I read one of Adams' columns, I find myself wondering why someone so empty-headed is employed at this newspaper.

Slats writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Birds of a feather flock together!

SmokeysPup writes:

Can't believe Penn State hired a guy who has a rape scandal going on underneath him after what they have been through.

underthehill writes:

I think Adams is correct..UT got a break with Franklin leaving..and Franklin is a better coach than Muschump..and he has left Vandy in a much better situation than when he got there..

wigmeister writes:

Bye Bye!

798orange writes:

John, many UT fans including myself take issue with your belief that Franklin could kick us around some more if he had remained at his former job. My guess is that our new coach will be the one kicking rear-ends in the near future. Perhaps your name will be on the list of those deserving of one, especially if the content and tone of your columns does not show improvement.

robert#1417579 writes:

I'd hoped Franklin would stay a few more years. I hate that he left with a winning record against us. In a few years we would have changed that. I just can't stand looking at Franklin. So smug, so egotistical, such a jerk, such a Spurrier and Saban want to be. Just the site of him makes me sick. Holding up 6 fingers in that goofy way makes me even sicker. Anchor Down is an idiotic slogan too. Anchor's hold things down. They keep things from moving. Is that what you really want with your team? Idiots.

oldster writes:

I do not like him. I am glad he is gone. I hope Vandy hires Lane Kiffin away from Bama. Better yet, Vince Dooley has a son somewhere who is supposedly a football coach.

towmater writes:

I remember the days when Tennessee used to win football games because we were just plain BETTER than the other team. Now, we look for advantage through non-competitive factors like scheduling, inferior coaches, opposing player injuries, weather, etc. Sad times ...

manoffewwords writes:

I hope all SEC teams come to hate us like most of us hated jimmy frank . If he didn't beat us we would love him.

murrayvol writes:

in response to oldster:

Malzahn turned Vandy down for Arkie St. and Kiffin wouldn't be caught dead coaching in Nashville.

It's a "Dead West End" job......even when you have the moderate success that Jimmy enjoyed.

not_guilty writes:

Will Coach Franklin take with him his star recruiters? (A bevy of, shall we say, wide receivers known as the Jersey Girls)

Plasticman85 writes:

Franklin won 4 games against teams with winning records and some of these media people act as if he is the second coming of Knute Rockne. He benefited from a favorable schedule and caught UT and FL at their worst. He will be going to a much easier conference so he should succeed at PSU

not_guilty writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Vanderbilt is traditionally a coaching graveyard. During the past half century, Steve Sloan left Vanderbilt and had a modicum of success at Texas Tech before going to losing gigs at Ole Miss and Duke. Gerry DiNardo had three winning seasons, followed by two losing seasons, at LSU before having three dismal seasons at Indiana.

Apart from James Franklin, the only former Vanderbilt head coach who is still coaching is Watson Brown, the head coach at Tennessee Tech.