John Adams: Lady Vols have no answers for a questionable defeat

John Adams

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, 2014 Knoxville News Sentinel

From left, Tennessee's Andraya Carter (14), Jasmine Jones (2), Ariel Massengale (5), and Bashaara Graves (12) in the final seconds of the game against Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium on Sunday, January 12, 2014. Vanderbilt won 74-63. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

NASHVILLE — Before Vanderbilt took its first shot at cutting down Tennessee, coach Melanie Balcomb had reason to be optimistic about a rivalry that hasn’t gone her program’s way.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

jmtellico#1438721 writes:

I'm a diehard Lady Vol fan but enough is enough. I am NOT a Holly fan. I played BB in Europe and know the game. She is a terrible game coach. They were the taller team but the mindset is to run....against a faster team. They throw so many bad passes, commit charges on 2 on 1 fast breaks and don't help out on defense on drives to the basket. I saw three times when a player could have stepped in the way of an opponet who had beaten her defender. Instead, they just watched the layup. Simmons is out of control & Harrison needs to get her head into the game. That game was terrible and more losses are to follow. Holly just doesn't get the "right" & "smart" effort. They sure try but sometimes Holly needs to call timeout, get in someone's face and get accountability. Oh, are we going to miss Pat, more & more. We have lost the discipline that creates a championship team.

DroopyDrawers writes:

We have lost our composure. Why didn't Medcedes play more in the 2nd half? She is better on defense than offense.

norma-bob#1420407 writes:

in response to jmtellico#1438721:

Well said....too many turnovers and undisciplined!!!!!!!!!!!!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Won't it be fun to have the NCAA regional in TBA in March and the LV's aren't in it..
Vandy now owns UT in every sport!
What are we going to do about that Bama Dave?
Your athletics program is LOSERVILLE! On your watch and you expect fans to donate and buy season tickets to incompetence across the board?

underthehill writes:

in response to jmtellico#1438721:

I agree Holly let Vandy dictate how the game would be played when she went to the smaller lineup and opened up the inside for layups which Russell may have blocked..but I think the Lady Vols would have won this game if Izzy had kept her cool ..I agree the bad passes and senseless charging have to be handled on an individual basis..taking out 4 players when one player is playing careless does not send the proper message..I'm not ready to give up on this coaching staff ..at this point..I think the perception of many SEC fans and observers is that Mitchell at KY is the best coach of SEC women's teams..Ky has also lost 2...

nanny334#1419965 writes:

I certainly do not think that Mathew Mitchell is the best coach in the SEC, however I do think that Holly is pretty far down the list.
She may know how to coach practice, but she most certainly does not know how to game coach. I have never seen such lousy use of such talented players. I would also question who she starts and her player rotation. Can she recognize talent?? if so why is Graves not starting?? Why is Simmons starting instead of Carter, It is obvious that you are wasting possessions when you are starting someone who shoots less than 25% from 3 and less than 38% overall and is still playing 20-30 min a game and taking 15 to 30 shots a game, the leading turnover player on your team, I just do not understand this.

ModelMaker writes:

I too love my Lady Vols or I wouldn't take the time too comment on here or spend the money to go to all the home games. Last nights game was very sickening for me too watch. When your teams two best players don't show up for the game and the other teams two best players score 43 points between them your going to lose every time. I don't think we are playing smart basketball at all. Simmons is a talented player that could be allot better if she played smart. She obviously does not have a good understanding of the game or she would not be doing the things she does. I don't think Izzy played very smart last night. I am not saying any of these kids aren't smart, I'm saying they are not basketball smart. Ariel I think got caught up in making to much out of what Insell (Mississippi coach) said about her and that shows immaturity. Massengale has improved allot over last year as has Harrison but I don't see any improvement in the rest of the team. We keep making the same mistakes over and over again and that tells me the coach is not getting it done. How many times has Izzy come into a big game and gets two fouls on her right off and has to sit for the half. When she doesn't foul, the other team seems too score allot, inside, when she is in there. I am really concerned about Russell not being more of an impact than she is. I sure would have liked too have seen her in there making an impact (blocking or altering shots) in the last 7 minutes of the game. When you have a bunch of kids that are just not getting it in a classroom then that should be a concern; and this is Holly's classroom.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to jmtellico#1438721:

I think you make some great points. You should get on here more often.

I'm not sure playing Mercedes more last night would have helped. For one thing, she gets pulled too far away to close off the middle on defense. She is not very quick moving from one side of the lane to the other, which is what a help-side shot-blocker has to do. She still has only arms-reach range on offense and has no idea how to shoot free throws. I don't see her as the right answer to the problems posed by Vandy's quick, smart little guards.

martinvol34 writes:

The sky is falling. The sky is falling. Oh, that was chicken little. They will be fine.

in response to martinvol34:

It's not so much that the sky is falling as it is the perception that the championship "ceiling" the LVs have to crash through is getting higher and higher from their perspective. The LVs are really going to have to "swell up" and get serious if they want to keep dancing through March.