ESPN: Peyton Manning might retire after season, depending on neck scan results

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning warms up before playing against the San Diego Chargers in an NFL AFC division playoff football game, Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014, in Denver. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)

As hard as it might be for Tennessee fans to believe, the storied career of Peyton Manning might come to a close after his next loss, according to ESPN.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says it will all come down to the results of a post-season scan of his surgically-repaired neck, the injury to which forced him to miss the entire 2011 season with Indianapolis — the only games Manning has missed in his NFL career.

Manning and the Colts parted ways after that season, and the former Vol landed with the Denver Broncos, where he set new league records for touchdowns and passing yards this season.

Manning, who told reporters last week that, “the light is at the end of the tunnel for me, no question,” is 37 years old, with the coming August marking 20 years since he arrived as a freshman at Tennessee in 1994.

The Broncos face the New England Patriots for the AFC Championship on Sunday in Denver at 3 p.m. (WVLT) in what could prove to be his final game.

For the complete ESPN story, click here.

Peyton and the other Vols on the Broncos are my only hope that one of my main rooting-interest teams may yet come through this year. This past year has left me disappointed with men's and women's UT basketball, the Braves, UT football, and, so far in 2014, men's and women's basketball again.

Peyton would never allow himself to take the field again if he had any real fear for his neck or didn't think he could perform up to his standard. He would feel compelled to return if he DID feel that he could play up to his standard without unduly risking his health, whether he wins a Super Bowl this year or not. That's just the kind of guy he is.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with everything you posted with one exception, I am not a Braves fan. Go Reds!!!!

gc_scvol writes:

The storied career of Peyton Manning could come to an end after the Super Bowl, which by the way he could win, and not retire after his next loss.
Sounded more sensational the way it appeared in the article, just not exactly correct.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I hope he wins his next two more games and then hangs up the cleats.

fannotsheep writes:

I say it's a non-story. If Peyton learns that he would be risking his life or seriously jeopardizing his ability to lead a normal life then he probably would retire. He has a family and is not so selfish that he would ruin everything to chase his dreams. And unlike Bret Farvre, Manning doesn't strike me as a desperate guy who would play if he can't perform up to his standards. He has too much respect for the game, much less his legacy in the game, to do that. Nor do I believe he would do that to Elway and the others in Denver who are paying him lots of money to help them win football games.

I think there is an excellent chance Peyton will play four or five more years if his neck is OK and his offensive line can keep him from taking too many hits. He is not a scrambling QB and as long as the arm strength is there I think he is still the best to ever play the position. Football is not basketball and Manning has not had the team around him that Brady has and Montana had. All else being equal Manning would outperform any QB who ever lived. If he had played for a genius like Spurrier or Belichick he would have more rings than fingers.

Dickattrade writes: