John Adams: Bruce Pearl still could be UT's best option

John Adams
Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl reacts to a foul called on the Vols against Florida during the second round of the SEC tournament at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on March 11, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Halfway through Tennessee’s basketball season, all sorts of possibilities remain.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

terry#1416762 writes:

please, please, he is the BEST coach and positive spokesman for the UTees we have, ever had!! That's the TRUTH.

manoffewwords writes:

We want Bruce !

fannotsheep writes:

I don't want to get my hopes up. That's also why I sometimes don't watch or listen anymore to games even when I'm not working and easily could. Because I get tired of watching them play pretty well like they did against A&M, only to blow a home game against an inferior opponent (if indeed any opponent is truly inferior to this team).

The Vols are hard to watch. They have a split personality. Sometimes they look talented and play with great effort. Other times they look lost and play like they smoked pot at half time. I can't understand what they try to accomplish offensively most of the time. I am no expert at basketball, but I know what I watched when Pearl coached was basketball at a higher level than what has been on display since he left.

As for me, I would not give you a dime for anyone in the UT athletics department administration, or to the brass they report to. The ones who were there and collaborated with Hamilton to make sure they could fire Pearl after a loss in the NCAA Tournament should no longer be employed by UT. They are guilty of something far more sinister than Pearl ever was -- they knew his team loved him and would be devastated if they leaked (or announced on Jimmy Hyams' radio show) that he was about to be fired. Get rid of these clowns and bring back the best coach Tennessee ever had. Then I'll watch the games I can and record the others to watch later.

But that's a pipe dream, and Adams is playing us.

atnvol#283282 writes:

You really just can't help yourself can you John? Were you frequently bullied as a child?

IndianOutlaw writes:

I want to make the NCAA's keep Conzo but fire Cheek and Susan Martin. They have done more to wreck the AD than Hamilton and Fulmer could ever dream of.

lcvols writes:

I think it would be a great move, they had the largest crowd of the season at the A & M game because they had some solid wins. I'm anxious to see what the numbers are tomorrow night. There's no excuse why this team with it's talent can't at least get some distance in the NCAA, I just don't see that with this coaching.
Bruce was wrong to have lied, but Hamilton and company mishandled the whole mess. Bobby Petrino gets a second chance at Louisville, Bruce should be given another chance at TN if circumstances allow. I know the saying about hindsight, but what Bruce did would have only been a minor violation at worse if he'd only told the truth.

81volguy writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Seriously, what is wrong with you? You post this utterly nonsensical personal attack based on... what? Why? Get a life and go away.

tcwasher#642908 writes:

I think Cheek should be the first one fired. As a UT graduate, I am tired of the gross incompetence displayed in the administration. If someone gets cancer, the cancer is excised and chemo administered to make sure none of it shows up elsewhere in the body. It is past time for the surgery to begin!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

vut5686#1405392 writes:

A telling point: Adams says, "...he asked a half dozen media types (if UT could be one of those schools wanting Pearl)and No Way was the consensus opinion." Then he adds his personal...."...unless (UT) puts the best interest of the basketball program above all else." So, he is the self confessed Lone Ranger in floating this idea at the beginning of conference play. Sure, many would like a perfect world and Pearl leading us to NCAA after NCAA. But parading that idea out on the eve of another early conference game is callous, self serving and lacking journalist integrity. Events will unfold and the future will take care of itself. It is untimely for Adams to think he will, again, lead such a parade.

Volborn writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Stirring the pot with Martin? Martin is cooking himself by letting refs walk on him and his team. NO TECHNICAL FOULS in his career as a head coach? You can't make that up. Taking no timeouts during the A&M run when his players looked gassed? WTF is he thinking? I can't figure it out. I'm not a basketball expert, but I know a good coach when I see one. And although I think Martin is a very good man, I do not think he is a very good coach.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Absurd. The truth is that Fulmer himself shortened his own career at UT. He won a national championship and them seemed to be content to sit on his laurels. The team's decline was entirely a result of Fulmer.

brewlocal writes:

This will be all about the empty seats. There are more empty every year. The more seats turn up empty, the more the pressure will build for a change.

TommyJack writes:

I have no problem with the Adams piece.

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

You can tell Martin is concerned since he brings up that Tennessee is in the top 5 or 6 in attendance. Once that keeps dropping then there will be a change. As long as we fill it up with our laid back coach the money is still coming in.

Plasticman85 writes:

Adams is only writing what all of us are thinking. If the powers that be want a "real" basketball program that is relevant and fills the seats of TBA they will bring back Bruce Pearl. If they just want to field a basketball team for the U of T, they will keep doing what we have been doing the past 3 years. If they want my money ( after this season) , they beets bring Bruce back. Otherwise, I will not return next season.

brokebackvol writes:

If Louisville can do it, so can UT. Hire Bruce back.

SmokeysPup writes:

Honestly, I try to watch this team and I find myself not even caring. I probably haven't watched 15 minutes total this year. When I do watch, I don't see effort, so why should I make the effort to watch.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

The frustration of being a true supporter of the athletic programs at UT that are under the leadership of the current seemingly incompetent personnel will continue until you get a man or lady with true leadership qualities sitting in the cat-birds seat that will demand excellence in lieu of mediocrity from their staff.
A little clique that I found to be true in the business world would be applicable to our current miserable AD Dept. situation at UT.
It isn't the people you fire who make your life miserable, it's the people you don't.

namici#1422384 writes:

Like brokebackvol said...if Louisville can do it, so can UT.

I mean seriously...with the stuff that Petrino pulled, versus what Bruce did??? Not even close! Petrino gets busted giving an undeserved job, cash, and his johnson to a female compared to Bruce lying about a BBQ (which is no longer considered a violation by the NCAA).

Winning cures everything.

vols1002 writes:

YES we need Bruce Pearl back to fill the stands and to have his enthusiasm on the side line and of course put us back into the NCAA tournament also his players always thanked the crowd for coming to the game.

vols1002 writes:

HEY KNS GO VOLS site how about doing a poll for who wants Bruce Pearl to come back the University of Tennessee yes or no

nanab54#1420544 writes:

well think about this as well....UT fires Martin and then the next year fire Holly. The women are doing worse than the men but I don't hear anybody raising a stink about it. So in 2015 UT could be looking for a new men's and women's coach

fannotsheep writes:

in response to nanab54#1420544:

Different but similar. The Lady Vols started downhill long before Pat retired. Candace Parker was the last time they won the title and the last time they had the game's best player. Recruiting and coaching are equally vital. When Pat was on top she excelled at both. But can't lay all the blame on Holly.

Read that Cuonzo Martin's recruiting class for next year is ranked 41st or thereabouts. How do you win enough to get to the NCAA with that? Right now he has some very talented players and can't get them to play together on a consistent basis. I am not saying Martin is a bad coach. I am saying Bruce Pearl is a great coach. Anyone who thinks otherwise has an agenda or can't recognize greatness when they see it.

wendelllawson writes:

The Petrino comparison is flawed. Petrino didn't commit his transgressions at Louisville, but rather while the coach at Arkansas. There's no way he would be hired at Arkansas, now or in the future.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to wendelllawson:

True, but there's a huge difference between what he did and Pearl lying about breaking an obscure rule.

Nobody has ever given me a reason to believe anything other than my theory that Pearl knew the NCAA, Big 10, college basketball powers that be had it in for him even after all the years since he snitched on Illinois. So he tried to lie his way out of something he should have admitted to. Big deal.

Pearl did not disgrace his university like Petrino did. Nor did he run off to a better job like Petrino did when he dumped Louisville. Kiffin did that. Instead, Pearl revived the basketball program from the days of Wade Houston. Bruce Pearl was the best thing that happened to UT sports since 1998. Period.

wilk58 writes:

Adams sure knows how to stir the pot.

Plasticman85 writes:

in response to wendelllawson:

How about what Pitino did with the female in the restaurant while coaching for Louisville? Even though this was his "personal" issue, I would rather have a coach that lied to the almighty NCAA about a little BBQ than one that did what Rick Pitino did a few years ago in the restaurant with a woman other than his wife.

Teresa writes:

If Cuonzo is replaced, I have no problem with it. I don't think Cheek will do it though. The players coming in next year are the type of players Bruce helped overachieve.

We'd never have to worry about him breaking another rule (which isn't a rule now). People say that Steven says there's no way Bruce would come back, but I wonder if that is their way of staying away from hurting Cuozno with the fans.

Teresa writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

But that's a pipe dream, and Adams is playing us.

Not only did they sabotage the team by leaking that, the lawyer UT had hired knew about the picture before the coaches talked to the NCAA and didn't warn Bruce or the assistants. What kind of representation is that? They wanted him gone.

govolsmm33 writes:

We want Bruce!

runner55 writes:

Kudos to John Adams for writing what most of us have been thinking. Like John I have heard the pious media types saying that there was no chance that Pearl could be hired back but I have thought that they were wrong all along. Think about it objectively. If we had a business and had a proven all star producer that customers loved but he lied on his expense report and we had to fire him because of principle. Then he takes a job in another field for 3 plus years and is successful. However, after that time period his replacement is producing ok but the territory has lost its place as the best. Meanwhile the fired sales person has conducted himself with utmost integrity and with contrition for what transpired. If we knew that he had a desire to come back and could be convinced that he had the depth of character and commitment to have changed and would be able to see that change during contacts with him we would hire him back without fail. We would be stupid not to and the University of Tennessee would be stupid not to at least explore the option seriously if this team does not qualify for the Big Dance.

RockyTop1 writes:

My dog I named Pearl would not mind seeing him back at UT!! I like CM but we MUST see a lot of improvement. Beat AU then get the Cats. GO VOLS!!!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Is it funny to anyone besides me that only one comment was removed by the site staff? They should do that to everyone of his posts and save a lot of space for posters who are sane and for the most part, have resonably thought out responses.

VictorKrugerIII writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

If you use Firefox or Chrome, you can install this browser extension (I nicknamed it "Chuck") and ignore whichever trolls you choose to. Pay attention to the prerequisites:

Alpha-Snail writes:

These comments are more powerful than anything Adams could write. They express in crystal clear fashon the views of the Vol Nation.

Hopefully Martin can turn it around, but if at season's end he hasn't, Pearl should be brought back. Failure to do so would spell disaster...for everyone.

Someone with connections should get Cheek and Hart to read this. Might just save their jobs one day.

Stupid_Should_Be_Painful writes:

I feel bad for Conzo. Seems like a good guy. BUT "good guy" doesn't make me want to go to the games, pay for parking, concessions for the family, buy t-shirts, sweatshirts, whatever from the UT store. I couldn't get enough when Bruce was our coach. TBA was rocking at the games when CBP was there. You could feel the electricity in the air. Bring back Bruce, or drop the black curtains. That is if you care anything about our basketball program. Look at Kentucky nation. Look at the proceeds from everything KY. Massive. How much revenue has UT basketball brought in over the last 3 years. BRING BACK BRUCE.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to wilk58:

Adams sure knows how to stir the pot.

Doesn't matter what Adams does. It's the pathetic results from this coaching staff despite the best overall roster the program has had in a long time that is stirring the pot. Well, that and the fact that 90 percent of real UT BASKETBALL fans did not want Pearl fired in the first place.

The NCAA is way more corrupt than Pearl and his staff ever thought of being.

nanab54#1420544 writes:

so then what you gonna do is fire Martin, hire Pearl for 3 yrs and if he flops fire him? Fire Holly after next year then bring in Nikki and after 3 yrs fire her??? Why 3 yrs??? 3 yrs is really not enough time to do anything but get a good foundation and build on. If UT keep this trend up then NOBODY will want to come here to coach. Wow at least we give the President 4 yrs

h8FLORIDA writes:

Bring back Pearl.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to nanab54#1420544:

Doubt Martin is going anywhere. But do you really think if this season continues its present swirl down the commode toward another NIT or no-postseason that next year's team will be better? Without McRae, Maymon, Stokes, etc.?

I said at the first of the season that Martin has what Dooley never did -- a lineup that should be competitive with the best teams in the SEC. The problem is not that he hasn't had time. The problem is they aren't winning.

STLVOLS writes:

I like CM but would prefer to have Pearl back because CM does not show enough emotion. He was a very successful coach at Missouri State but not enough wins with Vols.

vols1002 writes:

Bruce is a winner need to start a petition to get him hired back fan base can turn things around we buy the tickets and spend money at the game if that goes a way that will open some eyes over there

manoffewwords writes:

ALL TOGETHER NOW. WE WANT BRUCE !

Snapshot writes:

Bruce has said he won't come back as long as the current administration (Cheek) is there. Why would he want to work for a weasel like him?

101sparky writes:

Don't we all want Bruce. It isn't going to happen until Jimmy Cheek is replaced. I lobbied hard for Hamilton's removal but Sweet Cheek has been somewhat more difficult. Lets keep up the pressure. What we need is for Haslam to get up off his god chair, come on down from Mt. Olympus and get into doing what is right for UT.

jmtellico#1438721 writes:

What a sad day for sports. Is it just you fans in Tennessee that would throw so much away just to be a winner? Pearl is you best option? What is it that you are setting as an example for your children. Don't you get it....Bruce Pearl is a LIAR. He threw away his job due to his lack of honesty, ethics and class. Winning meant everything. Thank God ONE Tn recruit's parents had all of those desirable qualities and because of it my Ohio State has enjoyed Aaron Craft's four years. We had a football coach that forgot about honesty and we dumped him so fast even though of his popularity. Set you goals higher and hope that when a coaching change comes, you can be proud of your LEADER.

tntuba#225866 writes:

Are you REALLY comparing what Jim Tressel did at Ohio State to giving a kid a hotdog? How many wins did Tennessee Vacate? How many years were we band from post season play? as a result of Pearl's actions? Dude...get over yourself. I am not at all interested in a lecture on morality and character from a Ohio State fan.

tntuba#225866 writes:

***banned from postseason play as a result of Pearl's actions?***

micseavers#1423681 writes:

please bring back the man! We want coach P!