Vols find stops that eluded them against Texas A&M, beat Auburn 78-67

Vols don't let lead slip in final minutes

Tennessee guard Derek Reese (23), Auburn guard Chris Denson (3) and Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) reach for a rebound during the second half at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014. Tennessee won 78-67. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

They said they weren’t worried.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

Wow we get bet by Texas A and M and then we let the other celler dweller hang aroung the whole game. BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE come home

Sauce writes:

Glad we could get some stops on a team with RPI of 179!!!! Give me a break.

underthehill writes:

Auburn is playing better than the RPI would indicate..they have lost 3 close games in a row and I expected the game to be closer than most..Richardson had an outstanding game and is doing a far better job than ever of finishing shots at the rim..never thought he could bring his game to the level he is currently playing..Arkansas played Ky the only way UT has a chance to compete with them..make them play 94 feet and don't back off regardless of how many fouls get called on you..you have to strip the ball or foul them hard when they drive the lane..do not let them get dunks..this is how Ark stayed in the game and took advantage of their chance to win late..would love to see the Vols do likewise..I'm sure they are going to watch the tape and see that you can force the young cats to turn the ball over when pressed..

halhhaynes#364264 writes:

I love the Vols but this team is just so hard to watch. Not very encouraged a the moment about the state of Tennessee men's basketball.

No special brownie points for winning this game, but losing it would have been unthinkable. Anybody who has paid attention to college ball generally so far this season would see any number of stinkeroo performances by many of the nation's "elite" teams. It is an interesting question just why so many teams vary so widely in performance from one game to the next. For all their faults and failures, the Vols aren't dead yet. The season will unfold as it will.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

John people will think what they want to think. I just saw KY lose to Arkansas. I hope this team does well so they can tell the doubters where to go:). Go VOLS!

UT4prez writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree. This Auburn team is more dangerous than people think. In conference there are absolutely no guaranteed wins. And a team like UT is automatically an underdog in any road game whether Vegas says so or not. It is extremely difficult to win on the road in this conference. A win Saturday would be huge but with KY coming off a loss and the game being in Lexington we would have to play our best game of the year without a doubt.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to halhhaynes#364264:

+1 I can't watch them at all. I always get the feeling that I'm sinking in quick sand while watching them play. I'm glad they won and will always pull for them but, I just can't watch them play. Bring back Bruceball!!

in response to UT4prez:

Right now, I wouldn't give the Vols a chance in heck of knocking off UK Saturday. I suppose stranger things have happened, but I sure can't think of any right now. This is not because I don't think the Vols are "good enough" to do that, it is because I don't think the VOLS believe they are good enough to do that. They will have to "swell up" in a MAJOR way to win that game, and surely almost nobody outside the team gives them a chance. Even if they thread that particular needle, they will likely have to go 14-4 in the SEC and/or make the SEC tourney final to make the NCAAs, IMHO. It could be done, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. If they had done it when they had the chance against Xavier, UTEP, NC State, et. al., they wouldn't have to be so nearly perfect in SEC play.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The Vols have a chance and it is slim..but it can be done if they can learn from the Ark game.. you absolutely have to play Ky physical and not back down no matter how many fouls you get called..you cannot let them intimidate you on their drives down the lane..and you have strip the ball and create turnovers..

in response to underthehill:

Works for me. You know I'm pulling for them. If the Vols can pull it off, it would be as big a win, if not bigger, than the one over Kansas a few years ago, especially if it then becomes a springboard for a memorable tear through the SEC and on into the Big Dance. Kansas was ranked higher, of course, and UK may not be as good advertised, but a win would be an unimaginable boost to team and fan morale...except of course for those who want Martin gone right now and don't want to hear any reasons why not.