Lady Vols grind it out against Mississippi State, 67-63

Lady Vols in the zone despite 22 turnovers

Mississippi State guard Dominique Dillingham (00) keeps the ball away from Tennessee guard Andraya Carter (14) in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in Starkville, Miss., Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Photo by Rogelio V. Solis

STARKVILLE, Miss. — Tennessee lost the ball but not the ball game Thursday night.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

underthehill writes:

I do not recall any Lady Vol team missing so many point blank easy shots..need to clean this up first..it appears to be a lack of focus on finishing..the turnovers were in part due to the speed of the Vandy and Miss St guards..they forced some of the turnovers by attacking instead of being attacked.. I think this surprised the players and coaches..better get prepared..when one team sees something work..the next team is gonna try the same..I liked the effort and the finish..Carter was a huge part of that finish..

underthehill writes:

and I really like the Lady Vols being prepared to play multiple defenses..the lack of which is a huge disadvantage for the men's team..

Yeah, I like the combination of the press followed by the zone. I like the way the LVs trap in the corner out of it. I would move a couple of the players not involved in the trap to make it harder to get a good pass to anybody close, but the concept is sound. Defensive rebounding out of a zone for the posts is quite often problematic, so the perimeter players have to go to the defensive glass as well. On a number of occasions last night, the LV posts made concerted efforts to pass to a guard after a defensive rebound, who then pushed it up the floor. Other runouts should come off live-ball turnovers, mostly off the press. One would think that a faster pace increases the chances of turnovers, but I would rather have them trying to do something aggressive than because I just didn't have my head in the game.

mutt writes:

OK, over half of the season is over. Time to settle into a solid rotation and get some continuity. At this point, based on watching every game my starting five would have to include Ariel and Andraya. They would also get a majority of minutes playing together and there would never be a time when at least one of them would not be on the floor. Izzy, Bashaara, and Mercedes offer a superb post rotation and should get pretty much equal playing time. Cierra and Jasmine could also sub at the post if two of the three were in serious foul trouble. Otherwise, Cierra would share time with Megan and Jasmine at the 3. My favorite group to start out of this eight would be Ariel, Andraya, Izzy, Bashaara and either Cierra or Megan. If starting Megan is better for the overall psyche of the team then I can live with that......just don't leave her too long when she is not on her game or on the team's game plan. If it would not hurt the overall psyche of the team, I see her really making a positive impact coming off the bench with Cierra offering a calm, steady, mentally prepared starter. I think Jasmine can also provide a positive impact coming off the bench at the three or four. The rest of the bench should get playing time when appropriate....mostly when the hay is already in the barn.

Tennman78 writes:

Anything over 10 turnovers per game is unacceptable, and will result in a loss to a top team. ND will absolutely smoke the Lady Vols if they turn it over and miss easy shots like they have been doing. This needs to stop! The team is far too talented for this to continue. Grind for nine is still within reach, but only if we start being more efficient, starting Monday night!

mutt writes:

in response to underthehill:

I particularly liked the addition of the 1-2-2 with the traps in the corner. This definitely fit the personnel.

Theo writes:

I thought the defense was maybe the best of the year. The zone seems to work for them. I know Pat was man to man but you've got to find what fits your personnel.
Very excited about our freshmen. Especially when you consider Andraya is technically a freshman. She is super. Like MR's demeanor on the court. Mature for a freshman. Jordan has oodles of potential. As for Tucker, I don't care if she ever plays a game. I'm just glad she's a LV and hope she feels safe and happy. Throw in Graves and Jones that is a strong group of underclassmen.