John Adams: Big game is big problem for Lady Vols

John Adams
Tennessee coach Holly Warlick whistles to her team during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss., Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014. Tennessee won 67-63. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Photo by Rogelio V. Solis

The “T” in Tennessee women’s basketball has long stood for tradition.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

underthehill writes:

Well..you may be right ..but I don't know if this needed saying..this bunch of Lady Vols appears to me to be giving great effort..that is all we can ask..they have some short comings..such as lack of team speed ..but I don't see a lack of effort..and I see a coaching staff doing their best to make changes that may give the Lady Vols their best chance to win..I do not see a need for comparisons..just my opinion John..I know you get paid to stir the pot ..but..

MikeNPS writes:

The biggest challenge confronting most Vols fans is reading John Adams' columns without throwing up.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Hey Mike, I found the solution for not throwing up. I don't read the articles, just the comments. From that you can easily figure out it's content. You know it will be filled with negativity or sarcasm.

VibrantVol writes:

The family atmosphere that Pat cultivated during her time on The Hill is also fading away. A different culture exists within the program now.

Lady Vol fans are a different breed. They have come to expect not just SEC Championships as being routine, but won't be satisfied longterm without regular Final Four appearances, either. If those home losses mount, attendance will dwindle, as it has with the men's program.

johnwoodward48#1427254 writes:

John Adams has merely stated the facts. This team is struggling. It is a team full of all Americans including four members who were rated in the top 5 coming out of high school. They usually play well in transition, but their half court offense appears sluggish, and leads to too many turnovers turnovers. On defense, at times they really can play outstanding, but then let up leading to too many easy baskets. Why this is the case is a good question open to honest debate, but there is no question they are not playing anywhere close to the level of a final four team right now. Hopefully, the coaches and players can get things turned around.

RockyTop1 writes:

Holly has put her mark on this team and it is not a good one! The lack of "Coaching" against LSU was SO apparent! The way Simmons has not been used because of her play is confusing! She can be LEADING the team at half and then be regulated to the bench because of one or two missed shots?? That SHOULD be Massengale!! She can lose the dribble, shoot bricks and play full bore erratic and Holly very seldom will sit her on the bench!

ANY OTHER TEAM would have been built around Simmons. Last year she was the Co-MVP!!! As a Senior she has been under utilized and we have missed seeing the full potential of one of UT's best ever rise to the top because of Holly Warlick's lack of coaching - there I said it!

I love the Lady Vols but they do not have the leadership to be a Championship team with Holly at the top. I hope for a win today but I am not that hopeful. Statues, banners, uniforms and locker rooms do NOT win games. TEAMS DO UNDER GREAT COACHING!! GO LADY VOLS!!

in response to RockyTop1:

Saying something often and emphatically doesn't make it so. Simmons has had her own input on her playing time and usage. She was basically given a green light in the early preseason and for reasons nobody may ever know, she promptly shot herself out of that privilege. I have frequently wondered what it is with Meighan that produces such wildly different responses to game situations that she has seen hundreds of times by now.

There has not been a player on this team who by performance, temperament, word, or example seemed to say, "Follow me; we're gonna win this thing!" For all her other fine qualities, Meighan is not that person. At times I think Massengale might finally be such a player, but then she has another stinkeroo, at least in relative terms. One who I surely thought would be more of a leader was Bashaara. I'm sure her injuries have had something to do with that. Burdick is another one who I thought would be steadier and more of a leader than she has turned out to be.

Now when you consider the personalities of most of the Lady Vol champion teams, there was always at least one leader who could not only outplay everybody else on the floor, she could outwork everybody else in practice, and if any teammate wasn't trying to do the same, then she would by golly find out why! In the absence of that kind of inter-player dynamic, there is only so much the coaching staff can do. Any time a team looks bad in a particular way over a period of time, any reasonably astute observer might see some things they might try to do different. Maybe whatever is suggested would work if implemented, but people like us can't make any changes and, even if they were made, we still wouldn't have any responsibility for the outcome.

MichaelL writes:

in response to underthehill:

I have to disagree with you. I have been going to their games for nearly 30 years. I don't see a lack of team speed at all. Quite the contrary. I also don't see a lack of effort all the time, but I do see inconsistent effort. They don't battle for every single rebound. They often allow uncontested dribble drives to the basket. The effort is up and down. They also sometimes look confused out there, on both offense and defense. This team is a pale shadow of the teams that we are used to seeing at Tennessee over the years. I don't see a lack of talent, or athletes. They have size, speed and skill. What they don't have is consistent teamwork. I lay that squarely on the shoulders of the coaches. They are not devising a game plan and strategy to win at the highest level, and/or they are not motivating and educating the players to consistently execute their strategy. I don't doubt that they are trying hard and doing their best. I know that they sincerely want to win. I just think that they aren't getting the job done. Maybe they're in over their heads. As with you, that's just my opinion.

MichaelL writes:

in response to VibrantVol:

One of the reasons that has been sited by many pundits for that family atmosphere to which you refer, as well as the amazing success of the Summitt years, is the fact that Tennessee is one of only two universities who have a separate women's athletic department, the other being Texas. I was concerned that the merger of the two departments here would affect that, and I believe that is what we are seeing now. The recent ugly controversies with the handling of the Debby Jennings, Heather Mason, and Jenny Moshak affairs are confirming my worst fears. The men's athletic department, where football is king, is not going to support women's athletics.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to MichaelL:

I have to agree with just about everything you said. Ariel Massengale was the state 100 yard dash champion when in high school and Simmons well we all know how fast she is. I don't understand why those two aren't getting more easy layups.