James Franklin's raid on Vandy commitments, coaches continues

FILE - In this Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 file photo, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin is doused by linebacker Chase Garnham (36) after they defeated Houston 41-24 in the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game in Birmingham, Ala. 'We’re making tremendous strides,' Franklin says. 'The more opportunities that coaches get and go out and do well and succeed, it helps. It helps change perceptions, and perceptions are a powerful thing.' (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

FILE - In this Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014 file photo, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin is doused by linebacker Chase Garnham (36) after they defeated Houston 41-24 in the BBVA Compass Bowl NCAA college football game in Birmingham, Ala. "We’re making tremendous strides," Franklin says. "The more opportunities that coaches get and go out and do well and succeed, it helps. It helps change perceptions, and perceptions are a powerful thing." (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

NASHVILLE — As new Penn State coach James Franklin continued his unrelenting raid on Vanderbilt’s football recruiting class, evidence of early momentum has been tougher to find for new Commodores coach Derek Mason two weeks before signing day.

Two more former Vanderbilt commitments became Penn State commitments Monday, bringing that total to five, and offensive line coach Herb Hand, a player favorite, announced he would not be joining Mason.

Hand did not return a message seeking comment, but Vanderbilt offensive lineman Blake Fromang tweeted: “Penn State just got their best recruit of the year. @CoachHand its been an honor and I wish you the best of luck.”

Hand would be the seventh Vanderbilt assistant coach to join Franklin.

Continue reading at The Tennessean

OrangePride writes:

Not in the least surprised. Good position coaches often follow the head coach as there is no guarantee they will be held over on the new staff. As for the additional players; well, that's been Franklins MO from day 1. Won't be surprised to see one or two more wind up at Penn State. As the article says, better to leave the scholarship on the table than fill it with guys who don't fit and can't play at SEC level. But Mason may have a few aces up his sleeve too before signing day. Let's see.

underthehill writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I think Vandy made a huge mistake by not anticipating Franklin would leave when the Penn State job opened and I think Vandy really believed they could keep him by matching the Penn State offer..this mistake led to a delay in naming a coach who should have been recruiting the players Vandy had committed..only time will tell the damage from this mistake..but facts are facts..it will benefit the Vols for Vandy to lose some of it's momentum..

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

As much as I disliked Franklin I'll give him credit for at least getting Vandy's program on the upswing. It's more than I can say for the knucklehead who bolted our program after one year.

OrangePride writes:

in response to underthehill:

I think you are absolutely correct. Vandy was very slow off the mark on this and it will probably cost a few good recruits. When all this started I posted Franklin was gone if the $$ were right. Bigger profile job with more limelight and glamour... Just Franklins speed. I'm glad the SEC is rid of him. Long term, I think Vandy will be better off too. To my mind, Franklin is Kiffen Junior.

SmokeysPup writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I truly think he is OVERRATED. I say he is this decades Dinardo. He won with previous staffs players. He had peaked at Vandy (scheduling couldn't have been better for him) and was getting ready to get his arse handed to him on a regular basis again. He will be gone from Penn State in less than 4 years with a losing record and he will be on a where are they now show in 10 years.

OrangePride writes:

in response to SmokeysPup:

Don't disagree with any point. So? He beat Tennessee's worst team in a century and needed a favorable tv review to get by us last year when we had zero offense. Big deal. And I agree he knew darn well he had a bad season(s) right on the horizon and it was time to get out of Dodge. I think, like Kiffen, he will be out of work in three years and in a not too graceful exit either. He will perhaps win year one, barely even year two, and losing record year 3. PSU fans won't stand for it. I've been there often and they are passionate football junkies used to winning. Franklin would be a good fit at Rutgers (they really stink) in New Jersey...smart arze, arrogant, and alienates everyone. Perfect together!