Bashaara Graves' confidence needs a lift for Lady Vols

'A marked woman' or growing pains

Bashaara Graves’ confidence needs a lift and she thinks hard work is the ideal pick-me-up.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

rogatl2002#222395 writes:

The guards need to be taught how to get Graves the ball. She hardly ever gets a decent entry pass.

ModelMaker writes:

Just a suggestion Holly, nothing more nothing less. Start Russell along with Graves and Harrison and bring Jones in off the bench along with Burdick for relief. Play the three of them "together" for as much as you can. I think you will find that Graves will do much better as will Harrison. You have height and rebound power as your team strength; utilize it. This three guard stuff is not your strength, it is Notre Dame's strength. Keeping your substitution's to a minimum and when you do substitute, substitute a guard for a guard and a big with a big. I heard Graves make the comment once that she loves it when Russell is in there with her; I think it would be a good idea too listen too her; after all it could save your job.

in response to ModelMaker:

That lineup could only play extended minutes together if they played zone almost exclusively. Either Izzy or Bashaara would have to play the 3 spot; could either of them guard a typical SEC 3 on the perimeter? Would you ever even want them playing that far from the basket? Which would you prefer shooting 15-footers? To me, the only possible answer is Izzy, but I'm not sure she could handle it defensively. I'm afraid it would both tire her and get her in foul trouble.

With neither Graves nor Russell a threat from 15', playing them together would invite the opponents to pack the middle so nobody can drive or post up without a LOT of company. You would only have at most two zone-busting shooters. I don't see a group like that winning a lot of full-court races to the bucket, either.

I'm not saying there is no merit to what you suggest, just that there are lots of things to consider. Ya gotta give something to get something.

ModelMaker writes:

I completely disagree with you. But hey that's what makes the world go around. If everyone was right they would all be in the top 10% now wouldn't they and in basketball everyone would be winning championship's.

RLL59 writes:

When she's healthy, Bashaara is a very good rebounder and can shoot well within a few feet of the basket. She's proven that. If she really wants to develop further, and apparently it's all on her own, she needs to develop accuracy and confidence from at least 8 feet out. She also needs to fake her shot to draw more fouls and prevent blocks by the better centers in the game. But that's tough at this stage of her career. I don't think Glory Johnson ever got over bouncing the ball after a rebound and before going up for the put back. I guess the lack of competition in high school, and coaches who are unwilling to tamper with a star player, lead to bad habits.

MaxVolFan writes:

I think both Bash and Izzy will develop in time. Just look at how well Glory is playing now. I just hope they peak before they leave college.

Theo writes:

It is tempting to have all three in at the same time. If for no other reason just to see the rebounding machine. I agree with John, however, we have trouble getting out to the three shooters now. That line up would let those pesky little guards shoot threes all day.
Glad Bashara realizes what a good player she is and that it will all come around. I really like this group. I've been especially pleased with Mercedes' hands. She seems to really be able to receive a pass which a lot of young bigs have trouble with. She also goes right up with it.