Tennessee covers for loss of Ariel Massengale in win

Team steps up after Massengale went down early

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, 2014 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Ariel Massengale (5) is shaken up during the game against Florida at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday, January 23, 2014. Tennessee defeated Florida, 89-69. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

On “We Back Pat” night, Tennessee came to the aid of its point guard.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Allenfan writes:

When you win by 20 it is hard to be critical. I still think that Florida had open shots all game long, and we will not always be able to knock down the outside jumper. Texas A & M will be the best defense we have seen besides Notre Dame and maybe better because they know us so well. I will have to commend Holly, as I have been one of her worst critics, as she used her timeouts wisely to stop the runs. I guess the game on Sunday will show how far we have come. I have NEVER seen a player not progress at all like Burdick, as she was much better last year. Sunday is a game we can win if they play defense and share the basketball like they did tonight.

CaptainPicard writes:

Holly continues to practice frequent player substitutions. This practice hurts the team over the long run. Once again, this is one reason why the LVs cannot defeat teams ranked above them.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Congratulations to the Lady Vols for beating Florida. Obviously with Graves and Jones improved play last night this team has a lot of talented weapons when they show up.
But, defense is still very suspect, Florida had no 3's until the second half and had out rebounded Tennessee with less than 8 minutes to go. Florida is very small. Also, Florida had more points in the paint until the end of the game when they starting shooting3's.
LV's had good ball movement which opened the middle.
I disagree on the substitutions, Holly was fortunate to have played Reynolds enough that she was ready to step in when Massengale was hurt, who would you sit when they are all good/bad depending on the night?
The other reason that Holly has stated is if they get lazy or don't play D they are coming out. She even stated on the radio this week she doesn't think they are in the best of shape which makes sense when fatigue causes turnovers and easy baskets for the opponent. I agree.

RLL59 writes:

in response to Allenfan:

Cierra was a pure shooter from mid range until this year. The talent is there. Now most of her shots are not even close..even her free throw shooting has suffered. It may simply be she's lost her confidence, but something definitely is wrong. She needs some help, physical or psychological.

RLL59 writes:

Give a lot of credit to Jasmine. She's in much better control than earlier in the year, and demonstrating that she can shoot from anywhere. I don't understand why she's getting fewer and fewer minutes. Too many talented players...I'd like to see Coach Holly go with a 2 team rotation and press a good part of the game. That way players wouldn't get 'lost' on the bench, and there would be more cohesion, both offensively and defensively.

jgunnells#537459 writes:

I have wondered about Burdick too. Hope to get back to last year's production and soon.

underthehill writes:

Carter is such a talent that she can play inside or out and can create her own shots so it reduces the need for Burdick if she can't step up her game..but I keep hoping she does..the strength of this team is not in one player but the overall talent..I thought Holly and the coaching staff started the year with the game plan of playing a full court pressure defense and playing as many players as needed to keep a fresh team on the floor..seems they got away from it a bit..now it seems they are getting back to it..I hope so ..if a player is going all out they need a break and UT is fortunate to have enough depth to use it to their advantage..Mia Moore appears ready and capable of helping but with the inside strength of Russell, Izzy and Graves ..it is hard for her to get on the floor..I thought the whole team did a good job of stepping up when Ariel went out and looked like they had more ball movement and better passing..

CaptainPicard writes:

I will continue to say that Holly substitutes too frequently. There are 3 or 4 good reasons to substitute for a player. Ariel's injury is one of them. Also, I believe she can give her bench players an average of 10 minutes playing time with wise substitutions. The starters should play for a average of 30 minutes.