Mike Strange: Vols one of few weak spots on Billy Donovan's ledger

Mike Strange
Florida coach Billy Donovan signals to his players during an NCAA college basketball game against Alabama on Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014, at Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Ala. (AP Photo/AL.com, Vasha Hunt) MAGS OUT

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The SEC men’s basketball standings, you have to admit, are a little screwy at the moment.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

murrayvol writes:

I have a lot of respect for Donovan. Good guy and a good coach. Hope we can beat em again.

bUTch__please writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Same here. Donovan is the only Gator associated coach I can recall who has conducted himself with class at every opportunity. Like you, it would be really nice to put a win on those pos chomper fans. Plus this team desperately needs the RPI boost.

JSmith525 writes:

I hope that the UT over FU in BB trend continues today. I really don't have that warm fuzzy feeling that this game will turn out as I hope. The Vols have not played like a top SEC team all season. If they play that way today then FU might just blow the off the court. I expected much more from the Vols this season and so far it's been one disappointment after another. I have lost most of my faith in this coaching group. Sad but true!

murrayvol writes:

in response to bUTch__please:

Exactly. Our only remaining "resume games" are vs Florida. Winning in the O Dome would make a huge difference come Tourney time.

Today the Vols could establish themselves as true contenders, stroking strongly to shore ahead of the pack, or show themselves treading water, bobbing in the wake of the more successful ones. The path to the NCAAs gets far narrower and steeper if they can't snatch another win in the O-Dome. Too bad they will have to extend an already-improbable string against the best overall program in the SEC.

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well put. That said, 19 points at the half is never a good sign, even if you're leading.

wilk58 writes:

Hard to believe this team starts 3 sea and 2 jrs. McRae playing like a fr. Maymon cant hit layups rattled big time

UT4prez writes:

Simple. We either have horrible coaching of this oh so talented team, we aren't nearly as oh so talented as people say, or both.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

I have been a vol basketball fan for more then 40yrs! OMG I hate to watch this team!

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to ut_man1#1427524:

Fla. blowing them out and I can't watch this any phooey more. These kids look lost out there today.

Both puzzling and dispiriting. Can't imagine where Jordan's head was at all day. After the Arkansas game, I thought Maymon had finally learned how make layups in traffic. Richardson not only didn't contribute much offensively, he didn't do enough to hold any of Florida's guards down. Stokes was the only one who showed much effective energy, but the failures of the others increasingly allowed the defense to tighten down on him as well.

As crazy as the college basketball world is these days, even this loss isn't necessarily fatal to the Vols' NCAA chances, but to lose playing the way they did has to be disheartening going forward, for the team and for us fans. They surely didn't pass any "eye tests" Saturday.

UT4prez writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yes they are technically still alive but this team has no leadership, no fundamentals, and no heart. I predicted we would be a bubble team before the season started but we don't even look like that right now. Martin's teams have always been fundamentally poor and that's why we just need to cut our losses and move on to the next coach. I felt he deserved an opportunity this year but unfortunately these results are not surprising. I was hoping I was wrong.

in response to UT4prez:

I thought the Vols could have been one of the top teams in the country this year. All the pieces seemed to be in place. It is somewhat astounding that it took so long to establish a winning style--which, I will argue, they have; they just lack the confidence to keep running it and the mental toughness to make the shots--by this team and especially dismaying that such an experienced team gets knocked off stride so easily.

UT4prez writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Being objective, there are clear improvements in the overall performance of this team. They actually do handle a zone better this year than last. Their passes are generally more crisp, and, as poorly as they handle traps at times, they actually handle traps better this year than last, especially Stokes.

I agree. It is troubling that a team with so many upperclassmen plays like a very young team. It just goes back to fundamentals. They don't play fundamentally sound and over 2.5 years into it I'm convinced Martin can't teach them. What do you think? Still think Cuonzo gets it done? If he does go, who's next you think?