Former Alabama tailback Kamara commits to Tennessee

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones looks on down field during the Orange and White spring game at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, April 12, 2014.  (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones looks on down field during the Orange and White spring game at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, April 12, 2014. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Former Alabama tailback Alvin Kamara announced over the weekend that he will be continuing his career at Tennessee.

Kamara redshirted last season for the Crimson Tide and was granted a release from his scholarship in January. He is scheduled to play this season at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas before arriving in Knoxville in 2015.

"I am committed to THE University of Tennessee," Kamara posted on Twitter.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

Alabama is notorious for over signing and releasing players in a heartbeat. From the impression I get so far I don't think Butch J's staff would knowingly sign an individual with known behavioral issues. I have confidence they have researched his character/personality and see him as a good fit.

threehundredbowler writes:

in response to gogovols2002#222335:

Does Jr college ring a bell? He was not passing basic football 101 at Alabama and was released.Now he can come to Tennessee, providing he can pass basket weaving 101 in Junior College.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

? What's your point? I guess the FSU QB transfer could not pass Florida State Basic football 101 so he transferred to Alabama. He could not beat out a guy that shoplifts crab legs/could not have started last year for several SEC teams like LSU,BAMA, Auburn, Texas A&M and Missouri. Also Playing in the weakest conference BCS conference... the ACC. What you say rings of aimless negativity.

lonesome_dove writes:

why are we using a scholarship for another running back - with questionable character as a bonus - when we had the #1 running back group signed in 2014 ?

Coach Butch - we need LINEMEN, LINEMEN, LINEMEN !!!

BigDave64 writes:

With our running back situation the last few years you simply don't turn down a four star RB.. And a stud 4 star at that!! If you get more lineman you can always work out roster space. But not taking a 4 star RB would be unwise in my estimation.

Snapshot writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

Maybe "Jr. college" is something you should look into...just sayin'

On the other hand, maybe you should just stick to bowling, those jr. colleges do have some pretty high entrance requirements.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to lonesome_dove:

Coach Butch - we need LINEMEN, LINEMEN, LINEMEN !!!

According to Rivals, U.T. has commitments from 17 recruits. including 3 O-Linemen, 1 Tight End, 1 Defensive Tackle and 3 Defensive Ends, and has 4-5 scholarships to give. Looking like a good class.G.B.O.!!!

threehundredbowler writes:

in response to gogovols2002#222335:

The point is,players that are in good standing with grades do not transfer to Jr.Colleges.They transfer to other 4 year colleges and sit out a year before being allowed to play again.The Florida State kid did just that.Not being neg at all. I wish him the best as well as the best for you.Most of all, I hope he gets his ducks lined up and becomes an ideal citizen.Remember, this is an opinion site.I gave mine,and you gave yours.enjoy your day.

threehundredbowler writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Maybe "Jr. college" is something you should look into...just sayin'

I am sticking with bowling but no longer participate in tournaments.I just recently bowled 18th perfect game.Not bad for a 72 year old.I have also been inducted into the Bowling hall of fame.

Now for your remark about Jr. College. I have been there. It was tough but I made it.I also made it through East Tennessee State University graduating 40 years after my wife,20 years after my daughter and 14 years after my son.

What's in your wallet son.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

What's in your wallet son.

Yes you all took what threehundredbowler said the wrong way totally. I seems to me he is just concerned about a guy leaving a program like bama. Lets face the fact. If he was a stud during practices, he would still be there.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

Firstly it appears you are backin away from your initial statement. Secondly you have spent way too much time in the bowling alley...Didnt Auburn win a national championship with a juco qb.. then play for another one with a juco qb? Also the same year Auburn won the national championship their best defensive player was a JUCO recruit and was also 1st round nfl pick. He was a nose guard and im thinking his name was nick farley