2014 Spring Practice: Day One
The Tennessee football team opened its second spring camp under coach Butch Jones on Friday at Haslam Field in Knoxville.
Here are some quick notes and quotes from the post-practice interview session. Check out our observations from earlier today.
More stories, video and photos are still to come.
* Weight gainers: Redshirt freshman quarterback Riley Ferguson said he’s gained 25 pounds since arriving and now weighs 198 pounds. Sophomore Joshua Dobbs said he’s up to 210.
Jones has said both players needed to gain weight and he liked what he saw on Friday.
Jones said Ferguson looked “very confident.”
* Linebacker Curt Maggitt said he ultimately decided in Week 4 of last season that his knee would be unable to heal satisfactorily for him to play in 2013.
Maggitt, who took a redshirt, said he’s in “no hurry to leave” UT, indicating that redshirt year might pay added dividends in 2015, when Maggitt will be a senior.
Maggitt has never played a snap for Jones, but the coach has still identified him as the unquestioned team leader. Jones said Maggitt walks the walk during training and workouts. “Everything he’s got, he’s earned.”
* Jones said Von Pearson lined up in the vacant slot receiver position once held by Alton “Pig” Howard, but he wanted every receiver on the roster to know how to play slot.
* Jones identified center Mack Crowder as a leader of the new offensive line. “He should be. He’s our center.”
* Jones also continued to heap praise on running back Marlin Lane. “I like the way he practiced. He practiced the way a senior should.”
Stories, video and photos are still to come.
Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.