Vols say criticism of Martin 'brought us together'

Tennessee guard Antonio Barton (2), left, gets a hug from Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin as he is recognized on senior day before Tennessee's game against Missouri at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Saturday, March 8, 2014. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Tennessee's Jeronne Maymon on Senior Day win

KNOXVILLE — The public criticism of Tennessee basketball coach Cuonzo Martin for the Volunteers' inconsistency and disappointments this season surfaced as a topic of conversations during a couple of player interviews following Saturday's 72-45 rout of Missouri.

And the Vols had some strong thoughts on the subject.

Though a couple of players said a couple of weeks ago, after Tennessee lost to Texas A&M for the second time this season, that they paid no attention the external chatter and negativity swirling around Martin and the program, but in this day and age, it's impossible for them to ignore it completely.

They've known it was there, and they appeared ready to talk about it on Saturday.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

firstrowupperdeck writes:

this only proves that talk is cheap and i love you are sweet.

Golferdocvol writes:

This also proves CM's inability to motivate his team. It also shows our whinnying has some positive effect. On a positive note ---- kudos to team and coaches on a great finish to the season. Hope you go far in the tournament .

gglardon50#417841 writes:

coach Martin-keep it up,team is playing well. Bruce Pearl keep selling bread and chips at Krogers your a lier and a cheat.

Snapshot writes:

in response to gglardon50#417841:

Bruce is really in your head, isn't he? You still haven't told us if you have ever lied or cheated in your life. Once again I'll answer for you, YES you have! Still suspect you are a gator or kentucky troll...just take your hate somewhere else dude, or dudette, which ever the case.

Snapshot writes:

in response to gglardon50#417841:

By the way, it is "liar" not "lier", what are you a 3rd grader?

Caspian writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Yes, apparently Bruce owns Mr. GG Lard On. Most likely his team didn't do well against TN when Pearl was coach, and he fears a reprise.

ThirdCreek writes:

Seems like KNS these days likes to slightly rewrite an existing article as a new one then repost it. Note the resemblance of this article to the previous one-

I hate it that it seemed to take criticism from fans and media to get the players in the right frame of mind to play hard and smart. Very few of the fans ever thought badly of Martin, the man, but the play of the team in stretches just didn't do much credit to Martin, the coach. It didn't help when the comments of the players seemed a bit casual, along the lines of "Yeah, we let that one get away, but whatever, it's a long season yet." It is said that real winners HATE LOSING more than they LOVE WINNING. You seldom got the sense that losing HURT those guys enough for them to make sure it didn't happen again.

Now, I will admit that it is important for players to forget about bad performances except to learn from them and to not get too caught up in fan chatter, but when we saw that lack of urgency game after game and losses to teams that should have never been IN those games, what could we fans do but comment on those things? Not long ago, I repeated the old saying about how pressure creates diamonds and busts pipes; well, the Vols have looked like diamonds in the making lately. Now they just need a bit of cutting and polishing, but we can all see now what the final product could look like.

There is a logical fallacy with the Latin name "post hoc, ergo propter hoc"--after this, therefore because of this. The fallacy is to think that just because one event occurred earlier than another, the first event necessarily CAUSED the second one. This is akin to believing that the crowing of the rooster causes the sun to rise. However, if our comments were felt as pressure and if the Vols have truly embraced that pressure and the need to prove to THEMSELVES that they have what it takes, then I would say "mission accomplished"--or at least very well begun--on the part of all concerned.

gglardon50#417841 writes:

Still enjoying Bruce bagging my food at Krogers-where he belongs-well really he was just giving free samples of crackers out

SmokeysPup writes:

didn't we do this last year and then fold in the SEC tourney (as always). I'll be a believer when we are taking Florida down to the wire in the semi's. Until then I'll reserve judgement

Snapshot writes:

in response to gglardon50#417841:

You only wish you could be 10% as successful in your life as Bruce has been. He doesn't go to grocery stores like you, he hires someone to do those kind of menial tasks for him! Ever see the house he lives in? He paid for for it than you will make in your whole miserable life!!!

UpperDeckCurtains writes:

Let me get this straight...

We win one game, at the most, in Atlanta. Take a beat down in first NCAA game, and on that basis we should keep Cuonzo? Guess what. That would be the pinnacle of the Cuonzo era. Not much coming back next year. Terrible recruiting class.

This is literally the best year Cuonzo Martin will ever have and it means being on the bubble. We beat Auburn and Vandy by 30? OMG.

If UT is selling me mediocre basketball, then charge me mediocre prices.

Snapshot writes:

If they don't win that one game, it's probably back to the NIT for his third time in three years. Lose that first round game like it the past, then what do you think happens?

UT4prez writes:

in response to UpperDeckCurtains:

Let me get this straight...

If UT is selling me mediocre basketball, then charge me mediocre prices.

I get where you're coming from. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but just offering a different perspective. I've been all over Martin and this team. But it's been so long since we've played like this that I'm just going to enjoy it and worry about what happens to Martin when this season is done. There's been little to enjoy so now that we look like a tournament team I think I'll just sit back and watch. Where it could get tough is if they go to the Sweet 16 but again we can worry about that later. I just hope they get in first and foremost.

in response to UT4prez:

I gave a lengthier rebuttal on another thread to the idea that the Vols will necessarily be terrible next year. The fact is that none of us knows what the future will bring. I just think the idea that the Vols would be better off with just anybody other than Martin is absurd. Like you and many others, I wondered why it took so long for the team to start playing the way they have lately, but the bottom line is that they have arrived at the right attitude and style of play to get them far if they can keep it going. Some of the skeptics will never be convinced that Martin is the right guy for the job, even if they not only get into the NCAAs but survive the first weekend. They will still point to the relatively sparse attendance at the games and the low rating of next year's class as reason enough to cut Martin loose. As the old-new saying goes, haters just gotta hate, but mere certainty in one's opinions by itself doesn't make anybody right.