Musburger, Palmer to call SEC Network games

ESPN says Brent Musburger will be the lead play-by-play announcer for its new SEC Network, with former Florida quarterback Jesse Palmer as analyst.

Musburger's move to the SEC Network opens the play-by-play spot on ESPN's Saturday prime-time game. ESPN has not announced who will take that job though there has been speculation Chris Fowler, the host of GameDay whose contract with ESPN is expiring, will move into that play-by-play role alongside analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

The SEC Network launches next season. The first football game on the network will be Texas A&M at South Carolina on Thursday, Aug. 28. Musburger and Palmer will call that game and a game ever Saturday on the SEC Network.

Musburger and Palmer will continue to be part of ESPN's college football coverage.

FWBVol writes:

I think it's a shame that a fresh new SEC Network will start with a 75 year old Brent Musburger as the lead play-by-play announcer. IMO, Musburger hasn't been relevant since he shared the NFL pregame show on CBS with Phyliss George in the 1970s.

I'll be 56 win football season rolls around and even I think the SEC Network needs a young and exciting lead announcer, not some over the hill guy like Musburger.

KENVOL writes:

My goodness anyone but Musburger. Now I will not be able to listen to it. I will not EVER listen to him do a game again.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Joke, terrible decision!

blewissmith writes:

Anyone but Musburger!!

atnvol#283282 writes:

Cannot believe it....moronic.

CASEXX writes:

Good God, very disappointing. I can take Palmer as analyst but Musburger? Bad move ESPN.

Snapshot writes:

Really? The premier football conference in the country, and ESPN is going to stick us with Musburger?

ChesterDrawers writes:

I like Musburger as this choice because he speaks big on winning tradition of the SEC schools. We certainly need a historian like Brent to beat our drums as we move to relevant again in the SEC under Coach Jones.

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to ChesterDrawers:

Historian?? Musberger cannot remember how to pronounce names he reviewed prior to the broadcast....surprised they did not team him up with Vern Lundquist....another "historian" with about the same exciting demeanor.

keowee3718#379181 writes:

Idiots. Pure idiots. And I'm not talking about ABC/ESPN or Musburger either.

Share your thoughts