Junior college guard Kevin Punter picks Tennessee

Kevin Punter

Kevin Punter

Kevin Punter picked Tennessee over Missouri.

The 6-4 shooting guard from State Fair Community College in Sedalia, Mo., announced his decision to play for UT coach Donnie Tyndall and the Vols on Twitter on Monday morning. He told the News Sentinel via text message that he planned to sign with UT "a few minutes" after his announcement.

Punter had previously narrowed his choices to UT and Mizzou, the school he de-committed from when former Tigers coach Frank Haith left for the vacant job at Tulsa. Punter's official visit to Knoxville from Friday through Sunday helped him finalize his decision.

The soon-to-be junior will have two seasons of eligibility at UT and can play immediately upon arrival. The 20.3 points he averaged last season will be a welcome addition to a team that graduated leading scorer Jordan McRae.

Punter is the second player Tyndall has landed since he replaced former UT coach Cuonzo Martin. Forward Jabari McGhee of Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., signed last week.

Snapshot writes:

Seems like a pretty good catch for CDT. The Vols have to replace a lot of scoring and maybe he will be able to help, hopefully help a lot.

maciste54 writes:

I hope this is good news.

bUTch__please writes:

Welcome Kevin.

Richardson, Hubbs and Punter in space.
Davis and McGee quick in the lane.

This could get real.

fannotsheep writes:

Making lemonade -- way to go, Coach T!

in response to bUTch__please:

Welcome Kevin.

Richardson, Hubbs and Punter in space.
Davis and McGee quick in the lane.

This could get real.

I could be wrong--it's happened!--but I don't think that bunch will finish last in the SEC. Throw in Reese, Moore, and Thompson and the Vols will have a whole bunch of long-armed quick leapers to throw at the opposition. Then if by some chance they get Cofer back and Ndiaye gets a clue, well, happy days are back at TBA a WHOLE lot sooner than some might have thought a month ago.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

Under the circumstances it appears Tyndall is doing a great Job. If he signs Cofer then I say give him a perfect trifecta.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I hope you are 100% right and I am 100% wrong..I don't expect this team to finish in the top five and if they should get in the top half ..I think Tyndall will have done a great job..what is easy to overlook is the talent of the other SEC teams..Ky and Fla are loaded again..Ga has 4 returning starters..Vandy is building around their 7 foot.. 5* center ..who was a freshman last year and outplayed Stokes in Nashville..Stokes took him to school in K town but the Vandy guy had a good freshman year and most likely will be a force this year..LSU has enough returning to be very good..likewise Ark.. I will be more than happy to see the Vols be competitive and finish in the top half of the SEC..and I would much rather have the 2 guys Tyndall has signed than the four he let go..I can't forget the JR College guard MTSU got and how he wore out Trae Golden in the NIT home game for UT.. I hope this JR College catch works this well for UT..

murrayvol writes:

These guys will be fun to watch this season. I hope Cofer decides to re-up. He's got a chance to be very good.

I hope Punter and McGhee are the real deal and can be major contributors, but I gotta say I am not as optimistic as I was before the defections. I thought it was unfortunate but not totally unexpected to lose the Martin signees, but I didn't expect this many of the holdovers to want out. Hopefully everybody who stays is fully on board with the new regime and will give it all they've got...and if they do, that it will be enough to give them at least some measure of team success and fan satisfaction.

Share your thoughts